85 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Hannigan

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2018
O-HI-O
I can't see what you took off but if it was a staggered bolt pattern that is for the 168 tooth flexplate, straight bolt pattern is for the 153 tooth flexplate.

It was 153 tooth flexplate, I took the flexplate with me and made sure I got the right one. The starter was from Summit and I was told would bolt right up.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It’s tough to tell from your pics, but things look like they’re really close to lining up where they should.

Have you tried rotating the flexplate (engine) over slightly by hand to get the gears aligned? I would start by doing that and then see if the starter gear will mesh with the flexplate by gently prying back on it with a straight blade screwdriver. If you have contact between the flexplate and starter gears, you need shims. The shims usually come with the starter. What you’re looking for is the width of a paper clip in between the gears when they’re meshed.

Do this and report back to us. I just recently installed nearly the identical one in my car, so it’s all fairly fresh in my mind and I should be able to help you out.

Reactions: 1 user

James Hannigan

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2018
O-HI-O
It’s tough to tell from your pics, but things look like they’re really close to lining up where they should.

Have you tried rotating the flexplate (engine) over slightly by hand to get the gears aligned? I would start by doing that and then see if the starter gear will mesh with the flexplate by gently prying back on it with a straight blade screwdriver. If you have contact between the flexplate and starter gears, you need shims. The shims usually come with the starter. What you’re looking for is the width of a paper clip in between the gears when they’re meshed.

Do this and report back to us. I just recently installed nearly the identical one in my car, so it’s all fairly fresh in my mind and I should be able to help you out.

Did what you suggested and got it..

Finished that all up and got the new fuel pump on. Got to make time this week to finish the fuel lines, and get the headers back on and underneath all tightened up.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Well.... had to take the trans back out. Put the damn flywheel on backwards. So that killed the only day I had this week to do anything. Did get my braided fuel line set up to get rid of the rubber rigs the previous owner had on it. The hooker headers are a lil rusted. Can I just sand and coat them?

here's a trick in case you ever need to change the flex plate again. Get a couple of pieces of threaded rod about 6" in length or a couple of bolts that length. Remove the top two bolt on the transmission and install the rod or bolts. Then remove the rest of the transmission bolt and and with the transmisison supported slide it back. That will give you enough room to change the flex plate and make the job of putting the transmission back in place alot easier.

Reactions: 1 users

James Hannigan

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2018
O-HI-O
OK, still nit picking when I got time. The latest bone head of the day. Go to put the headers on AFTER the transmission mounts and all that was put back on... Key word AFTER, needless to say they wouldnt go on. Its either back off or motor mounts and lift the engine. suggestions?

Another question, I have to replace speedo cable. Whats the easiest way to replace the line to the speedometer?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you tried installing the headers from the bottom?...

for the speedo cable tie a string to the old cable before you putt it out through the firewall so you can use the string to guide the new cable in.

Reactions: 1 user

James Hannigan

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2018
O-HI-O
have you tried installing the headers from the bottom?...

for the speedo cable tie a string to the old cable before you putt it out through the firewall so you can use the string to guide the new cable in.

yea, theyre long tube headers. for some reason just cant seem to get them in.

Do you have to take apart the dash board for speedo or can it be accessed from top or bottom?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
are you having problems on both sides with the headers?. If you remove the steering shaft that will give you more room. Yes you have to remove the cluster that contains the speedo. You pull it out far enough to get your hand on the clip that hold the speedo cable in place. You push the clip towards the cluster to release the cable

James Hannigan

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2018
O-HI-O
are you having problems on both sides with the headers?. If you remove the steering shaft that will give you more room. Yes you have to remove the cluster that contains the speedo. You pull it out far enough to get your hand on the clip that hold the speedo cable in place. You push the clip towards the cluster to release the cable

Gotcha... Thanks!

The headers yea theyre tight on both sides. When I took them out I had the engine tilted back because I had no mounts in underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor