85 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Gotcha... Thanks!

The headers yea theyre tight on both sides. When I took them out I had the engine tilted back because I had no mounts in underneath.

if you know that would solve the problem then I would remove the transmission crossmember to let the engine tilt back so you can install the headers.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yea thats my bone head move lol... Theres been a few on this damn car. haha

that is not a bone head move, that is part of the learning curve. We all did it and still do it cause we can't leave things alone. If I could leave things alone I wouldn't be on this forum, I'd be on a crocheting or lawn bowling forum..... :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

James Hannigan

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2018
O-HI-O
OK, trans mount back out and headers back on. Everything back together and on to the last mission... The distributor, I got the whole HEI unit from summit. From my understanding you just pull the old out and drop the new in? Also I have an issue with getting power to distributor. Had to run jumper to fuse box. There's a red wire unplugged that runs to the opposite side of the holley carb. What is that for? (PICS ATTACHED)

Question 2, the transmission kick down isn't attached its just hanging there. How/where does that hook up to? (pics also attached)

IMG_3654.jpg
IMG_3652.jpg
IMG_3623.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3621.jpg
    IMG_3621.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 370

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would use an insulated connector on the power to the choke so if for some reason that wire falls off the spade it won't cause a short...

img_3654-jpg.94390

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
But what does this wire do? The power runs to distributor, but as seen in pics it isnt connected to anything.

that wire is 12 volts at all times when the engine is running. Along with the ground it heats up the coil so the choke goes off. If you have no power to the choke then the choke will always be on.

• Agree

James Hannigan

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2018
O-HI-O
that wire is 12 volts at all times when the engine is running. Along with the ground it heats up the coil so the choke goes off. If you have no power to the choke then the choke will always be on.

So that should be plugged into distributor? Its wrapped around that way, but just hanging there.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So that should be plugged into distributor? Its wrapped around that way, but just hanging there.

from factory there was a switch near the distributor that fed power to the blue wire that went to the choke. The switch prevented the power going to the choke until the engine was running and the oil pressure would activate the switch. If the switch is not there you can tap into a wire that has power in run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor