86 305 won't start. Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Most likely you have a couple bad cam lobes but I would start with pulling off the last rocker arm and inspecting it first since I have seen them split at the base where the pivot ball rides.

Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
How about a collapsed lifter?

MWS1994

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2017
So it turns out the 3rd rocker from the front of the engine was just as loose. I tightened both and the ticking and carb backfire are now gone.

Attachments

• IMG_3823.JPG
    IMG_3823.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 147

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Wow. It would be awesome if it's just a matter of the nuts backing off. You may want to replace the ones that backed off with new ones. I hope the studs aren't pulling up.

MWS1994

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2017
Wow. It would be awesome if it's just a matter of the nuts backing off. You may want to replace the ones that backed off with new ones. I hope the studs aren't pulling up.

The nuts definitely weren't loose. They needed some force to screw in more. I put it all back together so I couldn't see if the studs were pulling out.

The car is smoking some (noticed more when it's in park or stopped), but that may be because of cyl #8?

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
At 175,000 miles, if nothing has been rebuilt like the heads, replaced camshaft, etc, the cam has to be worn out a bit, some lifters are probably shot as ed1948 mentioned, bent or worn out pushrods, worn valve springs, worn rocker arms, etc. If one part of your motor is suspect, like a valve or head issue, the engine will be out of sorts. Just like when spark plug wires are installed wrong, car bucks, runs rough, backfires, might not run at all. Get them sorted and it is like a different motor!

You mentioned you just got the car so who knows what history this motor has. How it was taken care of, especially as oil and filter changes go, might tell you where you need to go as far as repairing and refreshing this motor. Plus how you plan to use the car or what you want to do with it. How much gunk was inside the valve covers? If there was a good amount of sludge then few and far oil changes might be the norm here?

Getting the drive train right first should be priority # 1 in my opinion. This will maybe sound stupid, but if the car is not running it is mothing but a lawn ornament. You have so many options of rebuilding, dropping another motor in it, etc. whatever works for your budget and and how comfortable you are with your skills and experience in what you can do yourself and what you need help in doing.

I still have my original 305 in my 85. I have 109,000 miles on it and made sure to keep up with the maintenance since I bought the car new in late 84. I would love to drop a 400+ hp motor, but the 305 is running good and my situation of taking care of Dad restricts my budget spending which is fine. Life dictates so much of what we can and cannot do, and I would be ok if I never end up resto modding parts of the car and putting in a badder motor. I had the car new, drove it and enjoyed it for over 32 years and counting and do what I can within my means to keep it looking and running ok. So whatever you choose to do you will eventually have a car you can be proud of.

• Agree

MWS1994

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2017
At 175,000 miles, if nothing has been rebuilt like the heads, replaced camshaft, etc, the cam has to be worn out a bit, some lifters are probably shot as ed1948 mentioned, bent or worn out pushrods, worn valve springs, worn rocker arms, etc. If one part of your motor is suspect, like a valve or head issue, the engine will be out of sorts. Just like when spark plug wires are installed wrong, car bucks, runs rough, backfires, might not run at all. Get them sorted and it is like a different motor!

You mentioned you just got the car so who knows what history this motor has. How it was taken care of, especially as oil and filter changes go, might tell you where you need to go as far as repairing and refreshing this motor. Plus how you plan to use the car or what you want to do with it. How much gunk was inside the valve covers? If there was a good amount of sludge then few and far oil changes might be the norm here?

Getting the drive train right first should be priority # 1 in my opinion. This will maybe sound stupid, but if the car is not running it is mothing but a lawn ornament. You have so many options of rebuilding, dropping another motor in it, etc. whatever works for your budget and and how comfortable you are with your skills and experience in what you can do yourself and what you need help in doing.

I still have my original 305 in my 85. I have 109,000 miles on it and made sure to keep up with the maintenance since I bought the car new in late 84. I would love to drop a 400+ hp motor, but the 305 is running good and my situation of taking care of Dad restricts my budget spending which is fine. Life dictates so much of what we can and cannot do, and I would be ok if I never end up resto modding parts of the car and putting in a badder motor. I had the car new, drove it and enjoyed it for over 32 years and counting and do what I can within my means to keep it looking and running ok. So whatever you choose to do you will eventually have a car you can be proud of.

Good things to think about, thanks. I got the car for $450 to practice stunt driving. I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't had work done, considering the condition the car is in. I just need it to run pretty good, only plan on keeping it for a few months. I'll just keep on eye on it and hope no more noises appear.

Attachments

• 15857480_569241486607891_1093597075_o.jpg
    15857480_569241486607891_1093597075_o.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 16129783_575280062670700_1876922440_o.jpg
    16129783_575280062670700_1876922440_o.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor