Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
nice! keep up the progress!

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
With progress comes setbacks.

Bought a V10 f350 tb complete with a motor and tps, same as a GT500 but cheaper! Good news is my DBW pedal is moving the TB, success. Bad news is it only moves when the engine isnt running. As soon as the engine starts the TB wont move. GM wiring will move the ford TB with a GM TPS, cool! I am thinking I am missing a wire in the fuse block or more likely the oil pressure sensor needs to give a signal to the ECM to trigger the TB motor. Not sure though.

Bought a 5 to 4" silicone reducer and got my filter setup done with spare parts I had laying around.

Built some aluminum steam port blocks and bought some fittings to try to get that problem solved. Absolutely no room with the maggie intake so that didnt work. Gotta build some different stuff and pull the intake off to get to it. The maggie kit steam port line costs $100 and not paying that much for a tube and a line.

Power steering pump was dented and leaks out of the O ring so gotta get a different one. My SBC pump I got with the car doesnt fit since the reservoirs are different.

Heater hoses are in and dad scrounged the exhaust parts to at least quiet the thing down a bit. Had a flowmaster 40 laying around at the farm (full of straw from mice, blew like a gallon of straw out on startup, haha) and bought a 29 buck fleet farm cherry bomb turbo style muffler. One muffler for the lopey kerchunk kerchunk idle, one muffler for that signature cherry bomb shitty sound! Had 2 stainless 90s laying around so I ended up with some redneck dual sidepipes. Good enough to hear for any rod knocks and tuning/bringing it to the body shop to pull the dent in the quarter. He also took a chunk of 4x6 3/16 wall tube and welded in place to make a dual exhaust trans crossmember. Ill have to get a pic of that.

So its a power steering pump, oil pressure sensor (maybe) or something to get the TB to work, steam lines, and some work on the pedal to have a running and driving car! Hand the door, fender, about it!

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have been swamped wrapping up college. At least im a gadjeate now. Off for a few weeks before I start my new full time job so between moving Im getting a little done.

I make a little progress and loose a bit. Constant fight for little stuff.

I had a hunch the lack of oil pressure senor signal was stopping the TB from moving. Also wanted to get some knock sensors in there so I picked up the sensors, harness, and oil pressure sendor. Didnt have a socket to fit the big sensor so had to make one and proceeded to break the damn sensor in half. Got mad and let it sit.

Also the knock sensor harness doesnt fit between the valley cover and intake so I gotta mill a slot in the cover for the wires. Argh.

About a month later (now) I had time so I put a new oil pressure sender in. Its plugged in but HPT isnt reading signal. Im not sure if HPT reads signal on it or not. I dont think it ever did on my 3800. Might be a bad sensor or something I dont know. HPT reads like -15 PSI.

Semi good news is I got my steam lines in. There wasnt an aftermarket kit I saw that worked so I built some compression line stuff. 20 pounds of boost and some copper line?

There was nothing factory or anything I could find that would do a 4 port bead port setup and fit under the blower manifold. Hopefully it lasts. The magnusson front only line was like $120 and I said no way to that.

I tried starting it and my fuel pump didnt turn on. Was going to return it but took it off and put voltage to it on the bench and tapped it and loosened it up. Thankfully it works again.

Still dont have working pedal. As soon as the engine gets crank signal the ECM stops reading the pedal. I hooked HPT up and the pedal outputs 0-175% throttle for some reason. If I start the engine with 25% (or whatever) throttle as soon as the engine starts the ECM reads the pedal at 0% regardless of the position of the pedal. The pedal is getting 12V source in the harness weather the engine is on or off and the 5V circuits on the pedal are the same engine running or not.

Im really close to buying a DBC harness and DBC TB and scrapping this harness. Theres no support for DBW stuff and nobody has a clue what is causing this. There is something with the ECM weather in the tune or missing sensor that ignores the pedal with the engine running.

Reactions: 1 user

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
I have been swamped wrapping up college. At least im a gadjeate now. Off for a few weeks before I start my new full time job so between moving Im getting a little done.

Congrats! Whats the new job?

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Congratulations on your big achievement! Can't wait to see what you build with more time and money.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I will be doing drivetrain engineering for John Deere.

Little over a year ago Dad bought a 70's coates 10-10 tire changer and did a light resto. I was a little skeptical but it sure works great on 15" steelies. I picked up some $35 a piece 215/60 from wally world since they were stupid cheap and needed some good tires on the back since I am towing this car down when I move in the next few weeks. One of the tires was basically bald and the other one didnt hold air.

I also ordered a manual V10 ford TB to get the thing running. Might pick up a th400 for it also since this engine is going to obliterate that poor 2004r once I roll into the boost.

My build might slow down a bit until I get re situated in my new abode. I have had the privilege to work in Dad's shop for the last 8 years or so and had access to a few hundred thousand dollars of machine tools at campus for the last 4 years. I have grown accustom to having really nice facilities to get stuff done. Good news is my new place does have a garage and I have slowly collected most of the stuff I will need but going from a shop that dad has taken 30 years to put together will be a big change.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Made it to Rohners today. Picked up some misc interior parts (mostly a rear seat). Found a minty 87 cutlass that donated the rear seat. Maroon but its really nice which is super surprising.

Found a couple rarities. 4 dr grand am with buckets and console

Old men out there found some of the F bodies they must have forgot about and put them in the same spot.

Ditto with the H bodies. Ugh I have a bad obsession for Astre Safari's.

There is no joke 40 G wagons out here. I walked down a road I never did and found like 5 more. If I go G wagon at some point I am going either like this green one or a red one I didnt grab a pic of.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Actually made progress today.

Gave up on the DBW and just welded an arm to the butchered TB I had laying around so I have throttle now! Finally made progress instead of throwing time away not getting anywhere.
Got it moved with my bucket seat!

And with doors and fenders!

My top tier exhaust, good enough for testing purposes.

Looks like a car agin!

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Got the last stuff done before I take my trip to my new place. All the interior parts I have are either bolted in or in the trunk. I got lucky and my guage surround cleaned up. Console needs some more work but its gotta come out to get carpet in so I will worry about that later.

Drivers seat was fine when I got it, dirty but cleaned nice. Passenger seat had donated building materials to a mouse home and was a no go. Rear seat was the mouse home and the previous owners son (who the car got given to) decided burning the foam off the seat was a better option then anything else.

Found someone selling some used monte SS bucket seat material and foam so I picked that up to piece the seat back together. Didnt feel like spending 500+ on new material at this time. Rear seat was from my trip to Rohners last friday. Its super nice minus one cig burn in the middle. Nothing matches but at least its mostly complete!

Put my dash back together, wiped off the 10 year old mold and dirt stains. Steering wheel is shot though. That needs to go.

Console is still brokenish. Both G bodies I have owned with consoles were obliterated. Either I buy cars from hacks (probably) or they are just that fragile. Ive gotta pull the seats and console again to put carpet in the car anyways so Ill clean and fix it then.

Ditto on the door panels. I need to window sweeps and weatherstrip so im not putting those on since thats the first thing I need to buy.

And I made a hype video ya know.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor