BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
And as a reminder to the viewer ;) I have an 8.5 with 7.5 axle tubes so if you have a stock 7.5 or 8.5 this is roughly where you will be since all my geometry is near to factory as you can really do.

I don't know what the ride will be like but the spring rate on these is within 15lbs if I recall of what I found stock f41 spring rate to be.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Ah, yeah with 800's up front you might want something stiffer in the back.

My 5660's up front are 600lb/in and these are 130, and stock was 120. I would have liked something in the 160 range but I'll see how these end up.

It's just a cruiser after all ;)

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Rock auto application moog says 350-425 depending on AC, f41, v8, ect.

I know GM advertising brochures claimed each car was 'computerized selection' for spring rate which I don't know if they actually had dozens of springs a few pounds away from each other depending on options or if that was all advertising BS.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Rock auto application moog says 350-425 depending on AC, f41, v8, ect.

I know GM advertising brochures claimed each car was 'computerized selection' for spring rate which I don't know if they actually had dozens of springs a few pounds away from each other depending on options or if that was all advertising BS.

The Envoys had like 8 or 10 different spring rates so it's not out of the question. They went from high 200s I think up to 440# I know. We have 360# in ours and it's a bit boaty.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Snow report says

Insurance is staying off for a bit.

Might as well get my clutch delay valve hooked up.

Maybe buy a real set of adjustable shocks?

1615832728463.png

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Clutch delay valve? I know of orifices, but not actual valves for a T56?

I am putting a needle valve in the hose that runs between the clutch master and slave cylinder that is engaged by a solenoid valve and controlled by the shifter being in 1st gear.

Basically if the car is in 1st gear it energizes a solenoid which reroutes the pressure from the master cylinder through a needle valve.

Plan is to light the second bulb at the track and put the car in 1st gear thus rerouting flow. When it turns green, side step clutch pedal. I have a lowdoller 400psi pressure transducer wired into the stock PCM that HPtuners is logging clutch pressure. If I bog the engine or spin tires I can slow down the clutch clamping time by restricting flow on the needle valve. I can measure that with the sensor, so lets say it takes 0.4 seconds for the clutch to fully lock and it bogs, I can dial the valve in so it takes 0.6 seconds. That way I can dial in a consistent, repeatable amount of time per a specific HP and track 'stickiness'.

Once I am out of 1st gear the valve will open back to unrestricted flow and the clutch will clamp as fast as I can get my foot off the clutch and the springs overtake the inertia of the clutch.

Basically it's a fancy version of the people that used to bolt screen door closers to clutch pedals to slow the clutch grab down on older stick cars and a more instrumented version of a product that is sold which I am improving on because well, those 6 damn years of engineering classes have broke me and I refuse to accept 90% of aftermarket components because I find obvious design errors and decide I can improve on them.

• Creative
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Lets talk shocks,

What do you have and what are you looking to get?

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor