BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

I have those on the diff side and a normal heim on the frame side. The lowers are poly on all 4.

I do agree that heim style joints need to be almost impossibly tight to stay tight. My uppers on the frame side were sloppy even though the bolts were snug. I am thinking that side is now the issue, those speedway bushing heims are actually pretty decent.

Ill keep your comment on my mind. It makes sense.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Spent part of the evening last night realigning my drivers window. When I changed my body mounts the drivers door went out of alignment, which then put my window out of check. No photos, just 2 hours of loosen bolt, move tab 1/8", tighten bolt, close door. Repeat.

On today's topic of changing things that probably don't need to be changed-

I built a lot of the fuel system on this car from parts I ordered off Pro Products when they had a closeout sale. Regulator, a lot of the fittings, filter, ect. It's been fine for 4 years.

The filter I used is a small -6 inline one and the size (and filter rating) concerns me as it's literally not stated. (This one linked) Plus, it's not really serviceable and they claim it's only good for prefilter and up to 550hp and since I am on E85 AND about 550hp I think it's too small. Plus I have been watching some youtube videos and seeing stuff online of injectors sticking and am concerned about fuel cleanliness so time to do something about it.

Since I am more of a farmer and off highway industrial equipment design engineer than a race car builder I thought I'd look at the fuel system like a 1983 JD 4440 and move to cartage style filtering.

Baldwin (parker hannifin) makes a nice fuel filter mount that I am going to mount to my trunk pan between the fuel tank and the rear end. It's also -12 ORB port on both sides so no crappy NPT ports that seep and cartage filters mean I can spin a new one on instead of dumping fuel all over my arm with those paper element ones.

1616680031365.png

1616679999115.png

And A WIX 33107 is a easy to get part from any NAPA for $10, has a 10 mircon rating, and should flow what I need.

So stuff is on order.

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That -6 filter should be serviceable by unscrewing one end. My Scummit version has a pleated screen wafer sposedly good to 10 microns. It was fine enough to keep broken down shrink tube from getting to the injectors (for the most part).

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
That -6 filter should be serviceable by unscrewing one end. My Scummit version has a pleated screen wafer sposedly good to 10 microns. It was fine enough to keep broken down shrink tube from getting to the injectors (for the most part).

Per the comment I looked and yeah they actually do have rebuild kits. I kinda assumed they were not serviceable so that's actually good news.

I did some digging and my filter is only rated down to 35 micron which isn't great. Its also rated to 160GPH and I have a 450lph pump (120GPH) so it probably is boarderline the right size. If it does catch anything I'm sure that won't help the flow.

I'd run that filter on a carb or factory injector car on second thought but it's not up to the task for high flow EFI.

1616689340755.png

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That is genius. I never even thought to.....
A guy that is on YB and the Turbo Forum put me on to it. He's been running that filter setup for years running pump gas, E and C16.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Ah the good old Goldenrod ;) I was trying to find that one earlier and knew it was something along the lines of Silvershaft, Bronzetube, or some combination of a material/color and length of pipe but couldn't remember.
Top Tip- don't search Brownshaft in google.....

The guy that bought my wagon actually turned me on to using that cartridge style filter probably 8 years ago. I think he bought it from the local farm supply store.

Literally the only reason I went with the Baldwin one was that I prefer not to use NPT when I can and this one has a mount built in. The fact it is a name brand (Parker) is a bonus.

The Baldwin mount also has a slightly more common filter base size that cross references to agricultural and construction equipment so if I am in rural Nebraska on Rocky Mountain Raceweek and my filter plugs I can go to Titan Machinery and get a fuel filter.

But yeah, it's easy to get into the racecar mindset and only use 'racecar' marketed parts when there is a boatload of catalog parts for industrial and off highway applications that honestly are cheaper, better engineered and available everywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor