BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I learn my lesson all the time and I just can't help myself I still buy the cheapest parts i can find.
Hey, sometimes cheap is just as good as the brand name stuff. Sometimes it's just reboxed brand name stuff. But most of the time it isn't. And it also can suck really bad. It's just risk taking is all.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Another update: got the bolt hole drilled/tapped. Did a relearn on the TPS, and again, and again. Took several tries but the voltage is still reading low (should be .45-.55V at 0%). Started the car and it was still idling WAY high so I backed it down @ the adjustment screw. Let it warm up, shut off, started back up and idling better, but still a bit higher than the tune is commanding. I forgot to lock the idle in the scanning function.
I still think the China TB needs to be replaced. The housing where the TPS mounts is rough looking like somebody gouged the housing in several spots. However, it sounds good....

Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
This is still a start-up tune in Open Loop; there are a lot of factors like fueling tables, airflow tables, and timing - as well as vehicle load in gear - that will contribute to the conditions you are seeing here. Plus, the ability to trim fuel in Closed Loop.

For giggles you could try to command CL through the scanner and see how it responds.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
I’m sure you’ve posted this but, what brand is your throttle body? Is there a hole drilled in the blade? If there is, block the hole and see if that helps.

If there’s no hole on the blade, use a feeler gauge and check the clearance between the throttle blade and the throttle body opening. If there’s too much clearance (.006-.010) that could be the issue.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I’m sure you’ve posted this but, what brand is your throttle body? Is there a hole drilled in the blade? If there is, block the hole and see if that helps.

If there’s no hole on the blade, use a feeler gauge and check the clearance between the throttle blade and the throttle body opening. If there’s too much clearance (.006-.010) that could be the issue.
There isn't a name on it, just good ole Chinese chunk of aluminum. I haven't checked the clearance, and I know it doesn't have a hole in the blade. I plan on doing some troubleshooting later on, just can't run it anymore tonight. It'll be tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.

Reactions: 2 users

Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
There isn't a name on it, just good ole Chinese chunk of aluminum. I haven't checked the clearance, and I know it doesn't have a hole in the blade. I plan on doing some troubleshooting later on, just can't run it anymore tonight. It'll be tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.
Did the fun sponge shut you down?

• Haha

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor