BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I find that not all of them crush easily like a molly. Some actually require an installation tool, kind of like an oversize rivet gun to crimp them on. I found out after purchasing some at Fastenal.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I find that not all of them crush easily like a molly. Some actually require an installation tool, kind of like an oversize rivet gun to crimp them on. I found out after purchasing some at Fastenal.
The steel ones definitely need the large gun. I sold plenty when I managed a Fastenal branch.
The one I got is like a regular rivet gun and seemed to work fine on these since they're aluminum.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The steel ones definitely need the large gun. I sold plenty when I managed a Fastenal branch.
The one I got is like a regular rivet gun and seemed to work fine on these since they're aluminum.
Scott,
I forgot that you used to work for Fastenal. You're absolutely right about using the aluminum inserts rather than the steel ones. If I recall, it's not always indicated what they're made out of. Perhaps I'm wrong about that.
I remember once looking up what the insertion tool cost....it wasn't cheap.

They certainly beat having to use nuts and bolts to hold your shifter down.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Been another busy week with parts coming in and not having time to work on the car. So far I've received the new throttle cable, ICT coilpack brackets, and Taylor 8mm plug wires. I installed the cable last night but it will need fine tuning I'm sure. The coilpack brackets are slick and once the VC's are painted it should look pretty clean! The plug wires are Taylor Street Thunder 8mm and USA made. They are meant for headers and are a couple inches shorter than stock which should also clean up the install.
20190512_230106.jpg
20190512_232521.jpg
20190513_142729.jpg

I was able to get done with work with some time to spare so I wrapped the starter wiring with DEI cool tape which should help protect the wires, then tightened them down. I also shortened/fixed the coolant temp wire for the gauge and hooked it up. Looks like the header needs a tad more persuasion and it can go on for good. Time to put my dad hat on and hang up the mechanic hat for the evening.
20190513_124733.jpg
20190513_153539.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I made myself go back out and work after the kids crashed and glad I did. Ended up wrapping a brake line with the heat wrap tape since it's fairly close to a driver side header tube. Then I installed the header and torqued the bolts. Moved the coilpacks to the driver side to check the plug wires for clearance and they're all good! I need to order some O2 sensors since anyone local wants to mark them up a gazillion %.
20190513_231105.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I've been at it this week again and have checked more items off the list. I finally had a nice day to paint the valve covers, so I knocked that out. Once done I got the coilpacks mounted and plug wires situated.
Next, I tackled more wiring by cutting tape, moving stuff, retaping to get the harness cleaner looking. Did a quick mockup of the throttle cable and it's the perfect length.
I bought a bunch of fluids today, and went ahead and filled the oil filter as well as 5 quarts in the pan.
I'd like to get more done this weekend but we have a ton of stuff to do around the house.
20190517_225021.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor