87 Grand prix question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiac dragger24

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2016
i recently purchased a 87 grand prix that had the original engine pulled and a chevy 350 put in but the person that did the swap just left a lot of the un needed ires hanging there and i would like to clean it up but i can not find any wiring diagrams for the car i also can not find any hilton or haynes books for the car if anybody could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated i was also wondering which car parts are interchangeable with the car. or is there a haynes or chilton book from another car that would work.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
I think there are or at least were Haynes manuals for our cars although they are questionably helpful for some things. Here is a link to most of the relevant wiring diagrams. Although they may not be completely applicable to your exact vehicle they should give you a decent idea of what to leave/keep.

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Also, welcome to the site from Houston. Let's see some pics of your car!

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Here's a great deal on the factory service manual......
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/221848129691

Also, welcome to the site from Houston. Let's see some pics of your car!

That is a GREAT price on a factory service manual. Hell, that's cheaper than the useless Haynes or Chilton manuals. I say they're useless because I own one. I'll give you a link to download a factory service manual for the '86 Caprice, El Camino and Monte Carlo if it'll help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z36h9pfpuvzt31h/86 Chevrolet Caprice Monte Carlo El Camino SM.pdf?dl=0

Welcome to the forum. As Jared already suggested, let's see some pics of your car!

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks i will get pictures of it later and what other cars have interchangeable parts for mine?
Drivetrain and suspension parts are interchangeable. Body parts and external trim are Grand Prix specific. Lots of interior will swap, but wouldn't necessarily be 'correct'. For example, bucket seats from a Monte Carlo will swap right in. The dashes will interchange, with some wiring work. The Regal, Cutlass, Grand Prix and Monte Carlo use the same windshield, rear window, and door glass. Not sure about the opera windows. Door panels and interior trim from the same group of cars will interchange. Hope this helps!

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Drivetrain and suspension parts are interchangeable. Body parts and external trim are Grand Prix specific. Lots of interior will swap, but wouldn't necessarily be 'correct'. For example, bucket seats from a Monte Carlo will swap right in. The dashes will interchange, with some wiring work. The Regal, Cutlass, Grand Prix and Monte Carlo use the same windshield, rear window, and door glass. Not sure about the opera windows. Door panels and interior trim from the same group of cars will interchange. Hope this helps!
Quarter windows are different from all the cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor