87 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Re: 87 SS

New built 700 is dropped in the SS. Found out that the prob was a valve part that is held in place with a snap ring had popped out. Snap ring wasnt installed correctly. When the trans shop dropped the pan, the snap ring and parts were sitting in the pan. All the clutch plates were burned the hell up. Im rebuilding it and droppin it in my Elco. Shop quoted me at $550 to do the job. Now its time to get on the rod shops head for some sort of compensation. Sucks. Picking the car up in the morn and then starting on the suspension-drop spindles, springs and rear springs. I'll get pics as I go along. Thanks for looking..

Warren

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az

Picked the SS up and got it out on the road. Shifts hard!! But I couldnt get on it cuz the car needs to be timed badly. I can hear it pinging and detonating under load. Gonna find TDC (top dead center) and get this thing running. Also gonna have my Grand National posi rear installed. It has 3:73's, but I want 411's. Gotta get crackin on things cuz my place looks like a bone yard. LOL!

Got the Dakota Digi panel wired up and workin sweet now. Just need to calibrate it. It has some really cool features. I still need to hookup the trans and oil temp gauges, t-top panel gauges and 3 pillar pod gauges. Cant wait to see it all lit up in there..

4202053127_944a788b31.jpg

NOS SS front nose. This sat in a dudes attic since 87! had all the og papers with it. The homie Melman hooked me up on it for $100. Lovely!! 8)

4186709600_ec844f0cfd.jpg

4186645898_b93a312d14.jpg

Picked this up for $100 also. it was PERFECT and I cracked it during transport. :blam: Gettin covered in suede anyway so its all good...

4185942509_4128944f16.jpg

Got these for my gauges. All the autometer gauges will have these trim rings on em. These are hot!!

4186634332_8633df4500.jpg

4186637968_d0976fceb1.jpg

Plain..Before trim rings...

4186630138_8155dc46aa.jpg

After...

4185885397_63fd45a865_b.jpg

Next on the list is droppin him and then install the rest of my exhaust. Will keep you updated. Thanks for looking 8)

4202829164_22b351dc82_o.gif

Last edited:

87LS/88SS

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2008

Your car is coming along good. Keep up the good work

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az

87LS/88SS said:
Your car is coming along good. Keep up the good work

Thanks!! I got him out on the road today. A good friend on mine took a look at it and said the timing was off. He retarded it a lil and we were gettin sideways with no probs. No pinging or detonating. We retarded a tad bit too much cuz it started bogging. Tweeked a lil more and it was better.It could be that the carb needs to be setup(air fuel mixture) The trans shifts nice and hard. Barked thru third gear. Still gotta go easy cuz the new motor only has about 100 miles on it. Still in the break in period. Car still needs to be timed correctly. TDC needs to be found and then go from there. I'll get on it Saturday and get some pics and vid of my progress up. A lot of peeps have been hitting me up on my cardomain page and youtube page about cosmetics and wheels. Gotta get the motor and drive train right first before purtying it up. So many peeps do it bass ackwards. No use in having a nice lookin ride that's a pipe smoker right? Hope you guys have a cool Christmas. Im polishing up all my lil goodies in between post :D

Warren 8)

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az

Got the SS on the road yesterday. My club prez Mel retarded the timing and got it running nicely. He said it still needs to be timed correctly, but the knocking and pinging are gone. I hit the streets and put some miles behind me---350 on the clock now for the new trans and 400 on the motor. When I hit 550-600 miles, I'll drain all fluids and start with fresh oil, trans fluid and radiator fluid. My lady says I can get something for the car as my late Christmas prez. I'm thinking about the MSD HEI pro billet dizzy and a new 6AL2 box with launch control, and some new MSD wires and better spark plugs. Another option is the new digital dizzy setup from MSD, but then I have to hookup a separate coil. More wires. Maybe I could dress it up. That would give it a nice old school look. 8) We shall see...

Still a long ways to go, but this is fun!!! Learning so much from all my big homies and you guys here on the site. Getting all the suspension rebuild parts together. That will be next on the list. Drop him, and then finish off the exhaust. Im taking my G- National rear to my trans guy to look it over and swap the 373's out for some 411's. I want a threaded hole in the housing for a sending unit. I'll wire that to my gauge in my "breadbox" panel up front...

Thanks for looking...

Warren 8)

Last edited:

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota

Man that is one sweet ride! Good work your doing there!

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az

melman109 said:
Coming together lovely bro.... Can't wait to drive her again :mrgreen:

As long as there's no baby momma drama, I should be shootin thru on the 23rd fam. Im hoping to have my G-Nat rear in by then as well so we can rip it up a lil. The motor will be broken in after the ride out to AZ. Picked up some tune up parts for after I get there(new oil, filter, radiator fluid). Cant wait to see how he holds up. Im gonna do an oil change (Castrol 10w30) and filter before the ride out there. Then we can tune him up and its vid time. Cant wait!!!

Picked up a few parts. Ive been a great lil Chevy rider cuz Santa came to town and hooked it up! Got the new MSD 6AL2 box with 2 step rev limit, MSD 8.5 super conductor wire set, polished Thrush stainless welded muffs, and this sweet heat shield kit from DEI. here's a few pics of the goods...

Spark plug heat shielding and boot kit &MSD Super Conductor wire set...Pre cut...Wires are covered with the DEI heat shielding. Use a heat gun to shrink the 3:1 wrapping..

4272363312_de7c71f141_z.jpg

4271641381_9e40992201_z.jpg

Even came with a cool lil wire label setup for knuckleheads like myself who forget what wire in the #1 wire... I even changed the order they slide off for the clockwise rotation of the wires. I could change that to 2,4,6,8,1,3,5,7 and do one whole side at a time..

4272395576_d71d37784e_z.jpg

HEI Wire retainer...The lil nipples on the spark plug wire boots pop into the reatiner to hold it in place

4273984668_97c03e91c7_o.jpg

Time to get some of this stuff installed!!

Warren 8)

Last edited:

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az

T-TOP TONY said:
damn those are nice bro

Thanks T!!

Got my MSD 6AL2 in from Summit. Cant wait to wire it up. I waited on the MSD Pro billet dizzy tho. My GM Performance dizzy should be ok for now.

4275694639_07e28b29c2_z.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor