BUILD THREAD 88 Monte SS to TPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSClassic

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2017
Pennsylvania
IMG_1097.JPG

not sure if i can route my air intake above or below my radiator hose,this is where all the SD guys are laughing their asses off
IMG_1117.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG

SSClassic

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2017
Pennsylvania
Got the new nose on yesterday,original was cracking everywhere.
IMG_1123.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
Got some more parts in for multiple areas lol i cant stick to one area and finish it
IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG

detent cable 89-92 camaro,not sure why the numbers are different but it fit very well

Attachments

• IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Why don't you flip the snorkel over 180 degrees and run the air cleaner to the passenger side. It would seem to be a little less congested.

• Agree

SSClassic

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2017
Pennsylvania
IMG_1118.JPG
Why don't you flip the snorkel over 180 degrees and run the air cleaner to the passenger side. It would seem to be a little less congested.
ive removed all the emissions including the charcoal can,so that leaves me a pretty big hole for a cone filer or i can put it through the hole behind the headlights,i figured this route would be easier than moving the battery as well
IMG_1106.JPG
IMG_1101.JPG

Last edited:

SSClassic

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2017
Pennsylvania
I robbed this system from the salvage yard. You will have to as well. I recommend finding a 97-99 Monte Carlo/Lumina to rob the system from.system I robbed from a 99 Lumina
IMG_1128.JPG
. These use the old style GM RKE system that is standalone: it does not use the vehicles network bus to operate. However these particular years received the later model teardrop shaped fob that has better range than the old square shaped ones. You likely won't get the fob from the salvage yard. There are tons of cheap factory fobs on ebay along with some cheap aftermarket replacement ones.

Screenshot-2017-10-12 Adding GM keyless entry.png

The RKE module there is located on the rear package shelf, right side. Get the module. Leave the attached connector on the module and cut off the harness leaving yourself 12-18 inches or so. However: there is one wire that runs into the trunk behind the right side trunk wall carpeting. It's a small single spade terminal connector not connected to anything. Do not cut this out of the harness. This is the program wire for a new fob. You ground that terminal to put the module in programming mode. Pull this out and up to your module, then you can make the cut to the rest of the wires in the harness. If you do accidentally cut the program wire, you're not SOL, you can always strip off a little insulation and still ground the wire, but it will be easier to find it to program a fob if the conncetor is still on it.

Dark Blue Wire:This will be hooked to the white wire running to dome light striker
Grey Wire: This will be wired to the trunk release actuator(if applicable).
Black Wire: This will be hooked to ground.
Tan Wire: This will be hooked to the left door lock actuator wire near door lock relay
White Wire This will be hooked to the unlock wire at the door lock relay
Light Blue wire: This will be hooked to the lock wire a the door lock relay.
Light Green Wire: Will be hooked 12 volt supply
Black Wire, White tracer: Ignore this wire. The factory system uses this to operate the power trunk from the interior button. Ours will still work regardless.
Pink wire: Ignore this wire. This is an ignition wire I think the factory uses to disable RKE while the ignition is on and shut off the dome lamp.
Orange Wire Will be hooked to 12 volt supply

After mounting up the module is the 2 12 volt wires. They are the orange and light green wires. You can hook them up to any constant 12 volt source you like
Ground. It's the black wire in the harness. Just ground it anywhere on the body structure
Trunk Release. It's the grey wire in the harness,i hooked mine to the pink wire to truck release button behind glove box
IMG_1127.JPG

Remove the ECM kickpanel. Behind the ECM and a piece of jute insulation you will find a large metal relay with a couple connectors on it. This is the door lock relay where we will be splicing our three wires into.
IMG_1131.JPG

Disconnect the 2 wire connector from the relay. The white wire on the RKE harness will need to be spliced to the unlock wire on this connector. For me it was the black wire. The light blue wire in the RKE harness splices into the other wire, which for me is also light blue. white wire for door jam switch also in this area,Dark blue connected for dome light activation
IMG_1130.JPG

Now the third wire, tan in the RKE harness. A little bit above the door lock relay there is a large hole in the body covered by a black plastic shield held on by a single pushpin. Remove this shield and there are a couple connectors behind there. One is a connector with about 6 terminals all in single row.
IMG_1129.JPG
The end of the connector, labeled pin "A" will be occupied by tan wires. One side of the connector will have one tan wire coming out of it, the other side will have two tan wires coming out of it. We need to attach the tan wire coming from the RKE harness to the left door lock actuator.

This cannot simply be spliced in like all other connections we've made so far. Here's what to do: On the side of the connector with two tan wires in the same terminal, cut the wire that runs over to the left door lock actuator. The other wire you do not want to cut runs a short distance down to the door lock relay. I able quickly locate which was which by pulling on the tan wire coming there at the door lock relay and seeing which of the 2 wires was being tugged up at the connector, and then cut the other wire. Hook the tan wire from the RKE harness to the door lock actuator side of the tan wire you just cut.
I would cap/insulate the connector side of the other end you cut so it never short in the future. Make sure all your door locks are still operating correctly with the switches, and you can now reinstall anything that has been removed for wiring.i my module behind the glove box as seen.
IMG_1126.JPG
Programming your fob

Take the programming wire discussed earlier and ground it. Once it is grounded the trunk release (if used) and the door locks will all cycle. This means the RKE module has entered programming mode. With the wire still grounded, press and hold both the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob. Once the module learns the fob, the locks will all cycle again. The instructions state to hold the buttons for 10 seconds. For me the locks cycled basically instantaneously though. It's the cycling your looking for, not a certain peroid of time. All fobs you are programming (I just have one), will need to be programmed at the same time. The locks will cycle for each fob you program. Once your fob(s) are programmed, disconnect the program wire from ground and you are finished. You should have RKE.(this write up was taken from montecarloss.com and modified)

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

84slow

Greasemonkey
Feb 6, 2017
Ontario.Ca
Daaamn! Lots of progress I think .still waiting for my Monte tank and fuel sending unit plus alternator.. not looking forward for wiring but your making me want to start the wiring and running the harness :s ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor