98-02 Blazer spindles 2wd vs 4wd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Other than the holes for the shafts in 4wd spindles, does anyone know if there's any other differences in track width or anything else? I currently have the Belltech drop spindles and now my track width looks wider than I'd like. I've recently read that these Beltechs increase your track width, but I don't have anything to compare it to since I never had the stock spindles mounted with tires on the car.

I'm running 18x8, 4.5bs, 235/40 tires, 5660 Moog springs ,stock ball joints and it's just not going to fly. I rub just turning the car around in the driveway.

I'd like to keep the car lowered but it doesn't look promising with these wheels. If anyone can chime in on the spindles or a good combo to keep the car lowered I'd appreciate it!
20160421_090613.jpg

Last edited:

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Haven't seen any updates on your car recently. Looks killer with those wheels and stance!

I have seen many people use a similar wheel/tire/suspension combo as yours with no/little rubbing so I am not sure why you might be having issues. Did you cut the springs at all?

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Haven't seen any updates on your car recently. Looks killer with those wheels and stance!

I have seen many people use a similar wheel/tire/suspension combo as yours with no/little rubbing so I am not sure why you might be having issues. Did you cut the springs at all?

Thanks! Yeah it has been awhile. Just busy with work, recent house and buying guns again! Springs are stock but supposed to have a 1/4" shorter installed height than a stock SS or 442 spring. The fenders aren't 100% bolted on so that might not help it either.

I trying to see if there's any truth to these drop spindles making the tires stick out further before go through the trouble of pulling spindles at a junkyard.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
As stated above, the 4x4 spindles will not work. Use the 2wd spindle then buy the longer upper and lower ball joints. The longer uppers will improve your camber curve, the longer lowers will drop the car 1/2".

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Thanks! I went with these wheels because they were similar to Pontiac rallye II's. Thanks for the link too.
I almost bought the same wheels. I really like them, but like you said they look like Pontiac wheels that's why I didn't. Your car is looking good though!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It seems like that wheel/tire package should fit. 235/40/18 translates to 25.4"x9.25". I have 235/60/16's (27.1"x9.25") on my 82 Grand Prix and only had minor rubbing at the back of the tire on the passenger side when the wheel was turned pretty hard with the tired original diesel springs. Your car looks great by the way.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I appreciate the compliments guys. Normally people think the '78-80 GP's are ugly and I'm fine with that! I'm going to finish buttoning up the fenders before I look into changing parts. There's a yard nearby with 4 Blazers if I need spindles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor