98~05 Blazer brake upgrade! DONE!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The 2wd and 4wd knuckles are not the same. On the 4wd knuckle, the lower balljoint stabs through from the top of the knuckle and is incompatible with the G-Body lower control arm. I believe there are other dimensional differences but I'm not certain. The first post in this thread has a good picture of the 4wd setup. It may be just a matter of different machining but you want 2wd knuckles for the swap. There are usually members on here that have them. Consider posting in the 'Wanted' section. I found mine on ebay.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It looks like the tie rod ends connect higher on the 4WD spindles, or knuckles, as compared to the 2WD spindles which connect lower. I'm sure if the 4WD knuckles were able to be used on our type cars, it would've been done and mentioned. I guess that's why everyone suggests the 2WD spindles.
As Jared pointed out, the pictures appearing earlier in this thread reveal that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

North

n00b
Nov 11, 2016
The 2wd and 4wd knuckles are not the same. On the 4wd knuckle, the lower balljoint stabs through from the top of the knuckle and is incompatible with the G-Body lower control arm. I believe there are other dimensional differences but I'm not certain. The first post in this thread has a good picture of the 4wd setup. It may be just a matter of different machining but you want 2wd knuckles for the swap. There are usually members on here that have them. Consider posting in the 'Wanted' section. I found mine on ebay.
Thanks for the clarification. I read it in the string but missed out on the main idea and didn't pick up on the picture.

North

n00b
Nov 11, 2016
It looks like the tie rod ends connect higher on the 4WD spindles, or knuckles, as compared to the 2WD spindles which connect lower. I'm sure if the 4WD knuckles were able to be used on our type cars, it would've been done and mentioned. I guess that's why everyone suggests the 2WD spindles.
As Jared pointed out, the pictures appearing earlier in this thread reveal that.
Thanks.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The 4WD Blazer uses torsion rods (think Chrysler) in the front instead of coil or leaf springs. I believe they inverted the ball joint so the nut did not interfere with the rod for maintenance.

Grendel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2017
I read the entire thread - looks like these maintain factory Gbody ride height? Any idea what a Bell Tech (2102) dropped spindle would do? Think we get the static drop?

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
I read the entire thread - looks like these maintain factory Gbody ride height? Any idea what a Bell Tech (2102) dropped spindle would do? Think we get the static drop?
i commented on this in this thread. the bell tech spindles will give the 2" drop but also pushes the wheels outward 3/8" - 1/2" on each side.

Ken Adams

n00b
Jan 10, 2017
What is the reasoning for using 98-05 2wd spindles? I have a set of 2wd 1995 S-10 spindles and would like to use them for this brakes upgrade.
Any way to use my 95 S-10 spindles?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
No, since 95 didn't use two piston calipers and didn't use the sealed wheel bearing/hub assembly. The spindles you have are basically the same as the stock g body spindles.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor