A little something to offend everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Did a 60 mile loop today because my belly needed tacos.

Ran like a champ, everything still works. It's still as twitchy, rough, and full of rattles as it always was. My carpet kit should be here soon so then I can finish the interior and get it listed. It'll look great in someone else's garage.
Triple digits, b*tches!
Was that 4th or 5th?

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Haha, that was 5th. The tach and speed are 50:1 (4000rpm = 80mph, etc). The rev limiter is set at 6500 so it only has a theoretical 130 in it. It gets twitchy at speed.

• Sad

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
My indicator lights came in so I was able to put the bash together and fire it up long enough to warm it up.

It still had the miss and eventually set a P0304 code and turned the fan on, so I know that works too. I took my stethoscope and put the probe on the top of each injector. #1, #2, and #3, tink tink tink. #4, thuh thuh thuh. So I took my dinkiest hammer and a long punch and gave it a few taps. The engine smoothed out, tink tink tink.

I ran it up to temp and the longer it ran, the better it ran. Ran out of energy and didn't get the clutch or brakes bled.
Sounds like a bottle of injector cleaner is in your future.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The other half of my carpet kit finally showed up. I drove it over to my dad's shop yesterday with the intention of spending all day working on interior and carpet. First thing I did was run to the hardware store for some fasteners, cleaning supplies, and acetone.
Kicked off my day by swapping out the mirrors. I know they were new but I didn't like them. Passenger side wouldn't adjust in far enough and the quality wasn't great. I ended up buying another set that cost 3x as much but are much, much nicer. I know the pics don't really show it but they are a huge improvement.

A previous craftsman decided it would look great to paint all the sill plates black so that they'd look extra shitty as the paint wore off and got scratched.

I used the acetone and cleaned them the best I could but there was some paint in crevices that just wasn't coming off. I took my collection of various aluminum paint cans and made some test shots on the back side of one until I found a good match for sheen.

I certainly would have preferred to leave them raw but they just looked horrible so I didn't have much choice. The other thing I did was try to use acetone to get some of the same horrible black paint off the heater box. It's ready for some finish sanding and flat black paint.

While that was drying I wiped down the cargo area and laid all the carpet pieces flat. Then cleaned the inner liftgate panel and side panels up. The speakers are just in cut out MDF type stuff and will be going away. I installed the liftgate panel with some of the new hardware.

At that point I remembered a couple little details under the hood I wanted to address. This is where my momentum stopped. ****ing mice! I saw 2 of them pop out and back into the inner fenders. So I set 2 traps under the hood and one on the passenger floorboard and got a ride home to set traps in my empty shop that I haven't even moved in to. ****!
When I checked the car this morning I had one missing cheese and a mouse in another.

Re-baited and set them and left it for another night. We'll see how they look in the morning and do a little minor cleanup. Luckily, it doesn't appear that they'd found a way inside the car and I didn't see any damage under the hood anywhere.

Reactions: 6 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Car has been mouse free for a couple weeks now so I cleaned everything up under the hood. It really wasn't bad, luckily. I pulled my aluminum intake elbow and shaved a useless tab off that would have been used in the Cobalt that I pulled it from. Then I gave it a Scotchbrite finish to better match some of the other items under the hood.

Then I pulled the front seats and peeled the old sheepskins off. Just like I remember them.

Dumbass previous owner decided to drill holes in the floor to mount some ill fitting (Cavalier?) seats before I owned it. Even managed to miss the mark and drill a second set on the driver's side. Rather than weld the holes, I elected to just glue some patches down. They'll be waterproof and never rust so good enough for me right now. Next owner is free to do it differently if they so choose.

Those holes have been there the whole time I've owned it and the car has never had carpet so even driving in heavy rain, if the floors got wet at all they didn't stay that way for long. I'll leave the adhesive to dry for a day or two then start on carpet install.

Reactions: 4 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I just couldn't seem to muster up the motivation to work on this thing. Got over to my dad's shop about 1pm today and finally got the carpet installed.

Since I'm a baller I ordered the optional cargo carpet and monogrammed floor mat set.

The interior is pretty much done now. I'm going to look for some seat covers for the front.

So now it's time for an informal poll. Which do you guys think looks better. With or without caps?

I've hung them on there a couple times but have never snapped them all the way on because I know it's going to ruin the wheel paint.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor