? About upper A-arm shims and bolts, 1985 Cutlass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
Friends, I have a couple questions around upper a-arm shims and the bolts that bolt in the A-arm. I have a 1985 Cutlass and I need to buy some shims for the uppers and also the two nuts and bolts that hold the a-arm cross bar to the frame of the car. I am having significant trouble finding either of these via the web or what I find, when I search for fitment says may not fit. Does anyone have any links to these or advice on where to get them?
Secondly, how do you best set up the shims to ensure the front end is set up correct. I know most will say get it close and take it to a shop for alignment, but here is the issue: my Cutlass is a lowrider (keep the boos to a minimum please lol) and I have hydraulics. The reason I need to shim my uppers is because we run extended upper a arms. Meaning we take stock a arms and extend them at the ears, in my case 1" and then mold the a arms. Reason we do this is so when we drive locked up (lifted all the way), we do not have a ton of negative camber. Granted when dumped (dropped all the way) we have a good amount of positive camber. The trick is, now that I have everything installed, I still have a little to much positive camber fully locked up, so I want to shim the uppers back a little bit. Looking at the frame and how it is not a true 90* angle to the mounting point of the a arm, I am guessing I will not shim equally. I talked to one shop that said they could get it close for me, but when they found out my suspension is full chrome (a arms upper&lower, springs, cylinders, spindle and so on) they said they wont touch it! So, I am looking for some advice to get this thing dialed in as best we can. We have a few tricks in the lowrider world for adjusting toe using the rear wheels and a string (it actually works well) but I can not seem to find any tricks on how to shim correctly and get it set up safe.
Thanks for reading my long post and look forward to the info!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that "trick" with the string is an old trick used long before low riders were ever thought of. I use 1/2" bolts for the upper control arms and I have no idea how you'd set up the alignment since it changes as you change the height of the car.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I picked up some body shims at a body supply house. They make small square ones like GM used in the front upper arms. I would also use offset upper control arm shafts to pull the arms in for more negative camber without having a stack of shims.

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
Thank you for the replies! PontiacGP : My plan is just to set the alignment fully locked up as that is usually how I drive with the front locked up. As for the 1/2" grade 8 bolts you used for the upper arms...do you happen to remember the length on them?

Lastly Texas82GP: Thank you for the link...I live in a small town and no one even Napa had the shims. These look like the GM ones that came stock....hoping the inner opening is the correct size to go over the bolts. :)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you are using the stock upper control arm I'm not sure the 1/2" bolt will fit the holes in it. Ebay has the oem bolts but if you want to use the 1/2" bolt 2" should be long enough if you use a cone nut.

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
if you are using the stock upper control arm I'm not sure the 1/2" bolt will fit the holes in it. Ebay has the oem bolts but if you want to use the 1/2" bolt 2" should be long enough if you use a cone nut.

Do you or does anyone else know what size the stock ones are...I figured I could try to hit my local hardware store for some. I looked on ebay and found these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Upper...ash=item3f38935c79:g:z7oAAOSwBadTqu12&vxp=mtr

So am I correct in thinking that the bolt I need is a 12mm? I would get these but I have a lift available to me Friday...so need to score some before then.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
12mm sounds right. Are your stock bolts in bad shape? I ask since the stock bolts have a 'tab' pressed onto them which prevents them from spinning when you remove the nut. It would be difficult to get a setup on the bolt head to back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor