Advanced auto parts morons

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Those aftermaret corvair radiators are hard to find and try to find one in the car is even harder lol
They actually had a guy come in looking for one before I started, he refused to accept the fact it didn't. They like to make sure the new hires were not that guy.

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
I grew up with a guy next door that collected corvairs and he taught me how to work on cars at the age of 6 or 7 more less tool go getter and parts cleaner then bigger stuff later on and I always asked him did you get the new radiator hoses with the radiator the first time I told him that he about fell over died laughing I was about 10 years old 29 years later we still joke about it.

Reactions: 2 users

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Here we go again, this time it's Pep Boys. I bought parts online from pep boys for my truck. My plan was simple, when the parts were ready I would pick them up and get to work. I got the e mail saying my parts were ready for pickup so I headed right over. I get there and they say they don't have my parts and they can't get them. My day is now thrown into disarray and once again went back to my local mom and pop parts store and got what i needed on the spot. Never again! I'm done with chain parts stores. Shop local!

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Last month my interceptor needed a new ground strap for the trunk. Went to Auto Zone to get a new one, they had no idea what I was talking about and thought I meant tie downs. After finding a ground strap myself, they said they never knew such things existed.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
Unfortunately most part counter people just look parts up on a computer. A long time ago I walked into the Chevrolet dealership where my 1979 Z28 was originally sold. To get a transmission yoke for a Super T-10 .Because I was changing my turbo 350 to a 4 speed.And the young counterman didfn`t know what he was looking for.Then an older man came up and took a few minutes to order one from Chevrolet.So it can happen any where.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
I honestly dont know what you guys expect from people making probably $10-$12/hour. If they were the end all be all of automotive knowledge you really think they would be working at parts counter?

God forbid these people were just looking for a job and are not interested in Car/Motorcycles at all. Plus from my experience owning a car and working on it creates a level of knowledge an average individual will not have if they do not have to do the same. I think some of you need to be more realistic with expectations.

I will say it is very frustrating knowing what part you need and having to find a vehicle it is compatible with to help them find it in their systems. But i dont blame the part store employees for that, its how corporate designed their inventory and part checking system to help those that dont know what they need. Which is another thing, some customers dont have a clue about what they are doing/looking for.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Keep in mind it's not just always the younger guys. I went to a Chevy dealer to check for something my '14 Silverado & asked the older guy there (& the only guy there at the time) & told me to see service to order it! It's a parts item that parts can order or even might have & he tells me to see service. An experianced *ss hat.

• Wow

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Whenever I have to go to Advance, Auto Zone, etc, I always make it a point to have the part # on hand. I always try to make it as easy for them as possible, Sometimes they still look at you like a deer in the headlights.
I still miss the old mom and pop part stores.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
Dont blame them because you did not know if your application was 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive and you gave them the wrong color of the trunk lid! These are all very important information to get accurate when buying parts from them.

No kidding, I went there this afternoon to get a PF454 Delco oil filter and the guy asked me what weight oil I run to see if it was compatible. I told him to just ring it up and let me leave.

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
I go to the oriellys near me and most of the people are very good. I like to mess with the new people and ask for a radiator or heater core for a 65 corvair or a 72 vw beetle. I had one in Wisconsin looking for a radiator for 10 mins, he looked on the computer and said that he can't get it so I told him to get out there books and look. The manager had to walk away so he could laugh. AutoZone told my wife's cousin his car needed a head gasket, I put new plugs and 1 coil and the problem was fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor