Advanced auto parts morons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I don't think the catalog being on a computer and not in a paper book is the problem, it's that we have decades of experience and knowledge about days gone by, so it comes easy to us.

1992, Pep Boys (it was close)....asked counter guy (older than I was) for a set of ford points....he was lost. We then did the what's it for thing....hmmmmmm this computer doesn't go back to '67. Finally found the part number in a catalog rack under the counter. Guy next to me asked for some ignition part for some 80s GM car, counter guy didn't even look it up, just walked to the back and got it. Even then, "old" stuff was in small demand, whereas the new stuff apparently was a common seller.

About 16-17 years ago we had a kid that was graduating from painter's helper to rookie painter, he slid up to me one day and asked in a very hushed tone, "who makes Cadillac?". He was supposed to be making color for it, and had no clue it was a GM product. Not a car guy, not a car guy family, drove a pretty new Nissan pickup, and wanted to be a "custom painter" because his buddies said that's how you made good money. Last time I saw him about 7 years ago, he was working as an apprentice electrician. Now that I think about it, he's the same kid that painted my FIL's buddy's Corvette the wrong color

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It's a shame that this type of issue seems to be the norm in these type of businesses. Being a 'parts guy' (or girl politically correct) used to mean something other than you know to ask year, make, model and engine. Real 'parts guys' have a memory that consists of more than instagram and youtube links. But this is what 'we' want, isn't it? 'We' continue to reward these businesses by returning to buy more parts, but we leave the Mom and Pop place to suffer a painful death of financial starvation. We can do something about this - stop buying from them. It sounds difficult, and sometimes it is near impossible, but we can buy whatever possible from the businesses that are local, pay local taxes, owned by locals who treat us as people rather than the next place to pawn off a cheap chinese piece of junk. The same can be said of Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc.

Buying American isn't a catchy phrase. Look at your neighbor (the one you like anyway) and ask yourself if you would like to help support his employer's business or some guy in China that's using children to make his product and is wrecking the environment at the same time. For God's sake, we are now importing beef and vegetables from China rather from American farmers. I believe I can make a difference, so I make every attempt. If you disagree with me, then keep going to Advanced Auto and dealing with the kid behind the counter that doesn't know the difference between a rotor vs drum brake - but don't complain. Unfortunately, sometimes we get what we ask for.

I don't want to start any argument over this, and I won't argue about it. But I hope that I raised at least one person's awareness about how these issues develop.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Being a former Advance employee (14 years, terminated due to low sales, but nothing about how much I was saving them by catching numerous inventory mistakes by the warehouse...) I can say that yes, it's sad what's become, but they aren't the only company that has been going this way... as nailhead stated, I would love to support the mom & pop parts stores, but they are long gone from this area, strangled by the big box parts stores popping up everywhere...

I also have been going online for my parts, and usually order them on the computer and pick them up in the store... why? because I order when I'm going to need them, know that I'll be getting the right one (and if I don't, I can't blame the kid behind the counter that doesn't know a spark plug from the aforementioned lugwrench), and can usually enter a coupon for about 20-25% off....

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
I had a personal experience at a local Oreilly just opened up down the street form my house. I usually shop at autozone they seem to be the most knowledgeable and they’re rewards program is good. But anyway thought I would try the new place went in and a guy in his 20’s I needed a brake line so I said need a rear line for 86 Monte Carlo. He said who makes that? I almost turned and walked out. But I told him and after getting help from the manager whom was a woman by the way. She found it right off then price matched autozone. Just depressing to think that people would work at a parts store and have no knowledge of what they are selling.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I think this was brought up before too, but think of what they pay these "parts" people to work for them. If you don't pay better than just over minimum wage, your not paying to have someone to really know something. Hell, I got paid better at Pep Boys when I started there in '95 ($6.75 when the minimum wage was $4.25), they guys knew something & was gear heads (except the store manager, left Wendy's to be the manager-didn't know anything.) I wasn't allowed on the computer until I could find it in the book, they even made me look for a Corvair radiator & '83 Vette brakes-not as a joke but to ensure I knew something about cars & what was never was. But know they need to somewhat know how to answer the corded thing that rings & know what a computer is to do the counter job. I would gladly pay extra if the counter help knows cars & got paid way better thatn what the currently get paid to reflect it (localy they are paid $8-8.50.) But it's a turnstile job waiting for the next "expert" to be hired.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
actually ran into it again today, and at my old store... going to breakfast, my wife informed me that her wipers weren't cutting it anymore, and instead of hearing about it for the rest of the day, I detoured to the store. when I went in, I was the only customer, and asked the guy to look up the #'s of the wipers as I went to the row of them (hoping to save time). I let him know what year and model and mentioned that I couldn't remember the #'s , but that I knew that they were 2 different sizes. he called back over to me that they were the same size, and when I asked, he said he said "computer says they are the same". guess I was thinking about my truck then.... made my purchase and went out to put them on, and yup, hanging waaay over the windshield frame.... took it back in, and told him that I knew they were the same size. hepulls it back up on the computer and right at the top of the screen was "Driver's side". :rant: "that one threw me off".... guys these days can't even read the computer right!:doh:

just goes to show that corporate America is more about greed and making the shareholders happy, and if that means getting warm bodies behind the counters, then cheaper the better...... eventually it will come back to haunt them.

side note: a few months ago, one of the employees at my last store let me know that they lost alot of my good buisness customers after they let me go, and 4 years later, some still come back and ask if I've come back yet...

Reactions: 2 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
For under $10/hr the employees aren't paid for their knowledge and you really can't expect it either...just sayin'

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
I think this was brought up before too, but think of what they pay these "parts" people to work for them. If you don't pay better than just over minimum wage, your not paying to have someone to really know something. Hell, I got paid better at Pep Boys when I started there in '95 ($6.75 when the minimum wage was $4.25), they guys knew something & was gear heads (except the store manager, left Wendy's to be the manager-didn't know anything.) I wasn't allowed on the computer until I could find it in the book, they even made me look for a Corvair radiator & '83 Vette brakes-not as a joke but to ensure I knew something about cars & what was never was. But know they need to somewhat know how to answer the corded thing that rings & know what a computer is to do the counter job. I would gladly pay extra if the counter help knows cars & got paid way better thatn what the currently get paid to reflect it (localy they are paid $8-8.50.) But it's a turnstile job waiting for the next "expert" to be hired.
Those aftermaret corvair radiators are hard to find and try to find one in the car is even harder lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor