Advanced auto parts morons

Status
Not open for further replies.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
You have zero chance of finding something like that with a computer.

I guess it depends on how advanced/specific of a query you could make into the part database.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
A new low . . .

When I took my deceased battery out of my 67 into Oreilly's to get a new one, the kid behind the counter had never heard of Oldsmobile and when I said 4-4-2 he said, Ford what? 4-4-2! He said what is a 4-4-2? I just took my battery back to their battery display, got the right length, width, height, post style [actually has both], and CCA I wanted and said, I'll just take this one. Then I asked [the other guy - looked older] where the penetrating oils were and he sent me to the motor oil aisle [psst, it's by the brake fluid if anyone else wants to know?]. Now, I realize that Olds died tragically in 2004, and this kid was probably 20 so he was only like 6 then, but you would think some basic level of competence would be required for these jobs . . . silly me! He was struggling to figure out how to get a set of plug wires back in its box as I was leaving.

Is this a lug wrench?

frusty.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
A new low . . .

When I took my deceased battery out of my 67 into Oreilly's to get a new one, the kid behind the counter had never heard of Oldsmobile and when I said 442 he said, Ford what? 442! He said what is a 442? I just took my battery back to their battery display, got the right length, width, height, post style [actually has both], and CCA I wanted and said, I'll just take this one. Then I asked [the other guy - looked older] where the penetrating oils were and he sent me to the motor oil aisle [psst, it's by the brake fluid if anyone else wants to know?]. Now, I realize that Olds died tragically in 2004, and this kid was probably 20 so he was only like 6 then, but you would think some basic level of competence would be required for these jobs . . . silly me! He was struggling to figure out how to get a set of plug wires back in its box as I was leaving.

Is this a lug wrench?

frusty.gif

When I find I am in similar situations I just keep saying to myself “Lord, give me strength” to deal with this.

I know I am in good shape when I go to a parts store and I get the car look over before taliking about what I need and reminisce about cars of the 70’s and 80’s with the guys behind the counter.

I miss some of the parts stores I went to when I lived in CT 30+ years ago when I could bring in the oddest part and one guy knew exactly what it was, where he had it, etc. They were literally a walking, talking parts book! They were the “automotive Google search” before there was Google! lol Do guys like this even exist anymore?

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
When I find I am in similar situations I just keep saying to myself “Lord, give me strength” to deal with this.

I know I am in good shape when I go to a parts store and I get the car look over before taliking about what I need and reminisce about cars of the 70’s and 80’s with the guys behind the counter.

I miss some of the parts stores I went to when I lived in CT 30+ years ago when I could bring in the oddest part and one guy knew exactly what it was, where he had it, etc. They were literally a walking, talking parts book! They were the “automotive Google search” before there was Google! lol Do guys like this even exist anymore?
I started this thread awhile ago about a frustrating night with a broken down truck. I realize now that it's a low paying position so most of there employees are young kids that know nothing about cars but are good with looking things up on a computer . whenever possible I stick with my hometown mom and pop parts store

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I almost ALWAYS look up the part myself online, walk in, and hand them a notepad sheet with the part number(s) written on it and tell them "I need this, please";

Did it today, in fact

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
A new low . . .

When I took my deceased battery out of my 67 into Oreilly's to get a new one, the kid behind the counter had never heard of Oldsmobile and when I said 442 he said, Ford what? 442! He said what is a 442? I just took my battery back to their battery display, got the right length, width, height, post style [actually has both], and CCA I wanted and said, I'll just take this one. Then I asked [the other guy - looked older] where the penetrating oils were and he sent me to the motor oil aisle [psst, it's by the brake fluid if anyone else wants to know?]. Now, I realize that Olds died tragically in 2004, and this kid was probably 20 so he was only like 6 then, but you would think some basic level of competence would be required for these jobs . . . silly me! He was struggling to figure out how to get a set of plug wires back in its box as I was leaving.

Is this a lug wrench?

frusty.gif
You had my undivided attention at Oldsmobile

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I almost ALWAYS look up the part myself online, walk in, and hand them a notepad sheet with the part number(s) written on it and tell them "I need this, please";

Did it today, in fact
Sad it has to be like that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ

Yes Mike and Dom's auto parts point pleasant New Jersey they actually remember part numbers. I had a girl who worked the counter at Advance Auto Lakewood New Jersey her name was Amanda I worked with her father like 25 years ago ay the used car lot in Neptune she was just a little kid then at advance I won't go to anyone else because she got it and knew what I was talking about she moved to Ohio and now the store sucks again

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
I had awesome guys at Forest City Auto Parts could match up things in a book and tell them a you need a 12 bolt rear end cover gasket and wouldnt ask you for a car they just knew but it was sad when they closed. Did find a good Napa for awhile till they got bone heads in there. Know I'm at a Car Quest that is independently owned and there awesome the owner is in there teaching the kids how to look stuff in books and they know what there doing best part is if the kids doesn' know the owner get on the phone.
It's worth paying a little more on the parts and get the right part and less headache wanting to rip the computer off the desk and yelling at them to go get a book at the other part stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor