Alternator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Good Morning! Thanks alot for all your guys help I'm still trying to work things out. So I ended up putting the alternator back together just to get it to a shop. So my Volt light on the dash is light but dim, does this mean something specific? Like my headlight is out and I pulled it to replaceable I saw one of the wires is coming out of the connector. Could this be what caused that light to come on? I pulled the light and then decided to put the alternator back in and it still is on so I'm not sure that would have anything to do with it. It could just be the alternator so I'm going to see what I can find out with a meter here shortly. It's just weird to me that the light is on but dim. I mean like when a light is on the dash it's on. This is dim lol. I will post a pic when I get to the car.

The reason it may be going to a shop is it has a leak. I know it's had a rear main leak but haven't drove it much for some years and I think it's starting to get worse from the way things are looking underneath since I've been taking it out more. I've called a couple places that look like they may be a good choice from their reviews but they both say they need to see it. I understand just don't want to drive it around so much with these couple issues and make things worse. Like on the charging system if i don't get that fixed up beforehand. Anyone know what a rear main seal and oil pan gasket replacement should cost in labor on a 1983 Buick Regal 3.8L V6 Base? Id love to tackle this myself but I think if it's a rope style or newer seal it's going to take skill to do it the right way. Is it true they could still leak after replacing? I started it and oils not pouring out at idle of it just getting to be a little more oil on ground than before. Thanks again for all help

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Good Morning! Thanks alot for all your guys help I'm still trying to work things out. So I ended up putting the alternator back together just to get it to a shop. So my Volt light on the dash is light but dim, does this mean something specific? Like my headlight is out and I pulled it to replaceable I saw one of the wires is coming out of the connector. Could this be what caused that light to come on? I pulled the light and then decided to put the alternator back in and it still is on so I'm not sure that would have anything to do with it. It could just be the alternator so I'm going to see what I can find out with a meter here shortly. It's just weird to me that the light is on but dim. I mean like when a light is on the dash it's on. This is dim lol. I will post a pic when I get to the car.

The reason it may be going to a shop is it has a leak. I know it's had a rear main leak but haven't drove it much for some years and I think it's starting to get worse from the way things are looking underneath since I've been taking it out more. I've called a couple places that look like they may be a good choice from their reviews but they both say they need to see it. I understand just don't want to drive it around so much with these couple issues and make things worse. Like on the charging system if i don't get that fixed up beforehand. Anyone know what a rear main seal and oil pan gasket replacement should cost in labor on a 1983 Buick Regal 3.8L V6 Base? Id love to tackle this myself but I think if it's a rope style or newer seal it's going to take skill to do it the right way. Is it true they could still leak after replacing? I started it and oils not pouring out at idle of it just getting to be a little more oil on ground than before. Thanks again for all the help.

The reason it may be going to a shop is it has a leak. I know it's had a rear main leak but haven't drove it much for some years and I think it's starting to get worse from the way things are looking underneath since I've been taking it out more. I've called a couple places that look like they may be a good choice from their reviews but they both say they need to see it. I understand just don't want to drive it around so much with these couple issues and make things worse. Like on the charging system if i don't get that fixed up beforehand. Anyone know what a rear main seal and oil pan gasket replacement should cost in labor on a 1983 Buick Regal 3.8L V6 Base? Id love to tackle this myself but I think if it's a rope style or newer seal it's going to take skill to do it the right way. Is it true they could still leak after replacing? I started it and oils not pouring out at idle of it just getting to be a little more oil on ground than before. Thanks again for all help
Update:
So after putting it all back together I thought I'd clean the grounds and see if that helps any with my alternator/volt light issue. I clean the starter grounds while I'm down there and give it a start. The car doesn't start and gives almost a whining and blowing sound. I tap on the starter and it starts. I let it run for a min, turn it off and start it again but it starts shaking acting funny I immediately turn the key off and it keeps for about 30 sec and them dies. I started it 3 more times and it did fine after that so just figured it was a glitch idk. I come back a fee days later and see how it does. It won't start same whining and blowing sound. I finally get it to turn over but it immediately stops. It'll keep going forcefully but just trying to see if it'll change with trying to keep it on. At this point I'm not sure what to do or what's causing this.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could cleaning the grounds cause this? Should I start looking for a starter and alternator?

When I cleaned the starter wires I noticed the stud was loose coming from the front end of it. I tightened it up, put the wires back on it and tightened those up. Is there anything connected on those studs from the inside I might have knocked loose when setting the stud in place to tighten?

As always thanks alot. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Update:
So after putting it all back together I thought I'd clean the grounds and see if that helps any with my alternator/volt light issue. I clean the starter grounds while I'm down there and give it a start. The car doesn't start and gives almost a whining and blowing sound. I tap on the starter and it starts. I let it run for a min, turn it off and start it again but it starts shaking acting funny I immediately turn the key off and it keeps for about 30 sec and them dies. I started it 3 more times and it did fine after that so just figured it was a glitch idk. I come back a fee days later and see how it does. It won't start same whining and blowing sound. I finally get it to turn over but it immediately stops. It'll keep going forcefully but just trying to see if it'll change with trying to keep it on. At this point I'm not sure what to do or what's causing this.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could cleaning the grounds cause this? Should I start looking for a starter and alternator?

When I cleaned the starter wires I noticed the stud was loose coming from the front end of it. I tightened it up, put the wires back on it and tightened those up. Is there anything connected on those studs from the inside I might have knocked loose when setting the stud in place to tighten?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Update:

I’d replace the starter and alternator if they are original.

Make sure your connections are decent. That includes at the battery, where it can be dirty.

Reactions: 1 user

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
I’d replace the starter and alternator if they are original.

Make sure your connections are decent. That includes at the battery, where it can be dirt
g0thiac Ok, i will do that Thank you, I think they are original. I'll be able to get back under it this morning. Just hoping nothing is majorly wrong. It's never acted up like this before.

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
g0thiac Ok, i will do that Thank you, I think they are original. I'll be able to get back under it this morning. Just hoping nothing is majorly wrong. It's never acted up like this before.
Would anyone have an idea of what this connections for or goes to? At the top passanger of engine, up by the carburetor. The lighter green wire is not connected on the other side no wire to plug in there.

Attachments

• 20210917_155754.jpg
    20210917_155754.jpg
    975.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210917_155742.jpg
    20210917_155742.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
i upgraded my alternator , currently using Tuff Stuff 250 amp.

Would recommend also doing Big 3 upgrade (0 gauge)

No complaints, using an Optima yellow top as well.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Would anyone have an idea of what this connections for or goes to? At the top passanger of engine, up by the carburetor. The lighter green wire is not connected on the other side no wire to plug in there.
That is for the A/C system. Light green-fast idle, dark green-compressor, black-ground & the red is the power feed from the engine harness.

Reactions: 1 users

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
That is for the A/C system. Light green-fast idle, dark green-compressor, black-ground & the red is the power feed from the engine harness.
Ok, Thanks alot pagrunt ! Now I'm just wondering if something is supposed to be plugged into that light green wire. I'll have to dig into it. I messed up while trying to clean all these wires up. I accidentally plugged the red (pos+?) thicker wire into that light green wire on the opposite side. Didn't realize I had turned see it upside down while cleaning it I guess. Hopefully didn't fry anything 😬.

rubio9800 and g0thiac I'm sure that would cover it lol. Maybe I'm just with this and I'm having a hard time trying to replace this alternator. Just want to put in a good one. When I go to places no one has what I'm asking for and or doesn't sound like it'll work in my vehicle.

I just exchanged my starter for a local rebuilt one. Shop has good reviews. Just nervous giving up my original also. I would have rather him rebuild mine but I guess at the end of the day it's the same thing. Should I have kept it for any reason? Same shop is checking on my alternator to see what he can come up with on a bigger one for me. He held on to my alternator I'm not sure why so I haven't left the parking lot lol. Till I get mine back or he has something to replace it with. Thanks for helping me out through this. Just alot of information outthere from others that don't have gbody's so it's easier coming here and talking to those that do. Thanks again

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
for whatever reason i couldnt find a new alternator the same physical size as my og alternator. i also have the 3.8 bracketry. every alternator i tried was too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor