Alternator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
for whatever reason i couldnt find a new alternator the same physical size as my og alternator. i also have the 3.8 bracketry. every alternator i tried was too small.
MrSony and g0thiac Thanks for that information. I just decided to try and go with rebuilding mine. This shop says they can do 120 amp and I'll just add an Optima battery and a capacitor down the road with the 3 wire upgrade. Went to a couple other shops their prices were for what I saw new alternators priced at. Figured if I would be paying that much it should be new. So I'm just going this route. At least I know it'll fit and a good build.

Reactions: 1 user

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
MrSony and g0thiac Thanks for that information. I just decided to try and go with rebuilding mine. This shop says they can do 120 amp and I'll just add an Optima battery and a capacitor down the road with the 3 wire upgrade. Went to a couple other shops their prices were for what I saw new alternators priced at. Figured if I would be paying that much it should be new. So I'm just going this route. At least I know it'll fit and a good build.
Would anyone know what this is? At the top of the engine almost, on the engine block just behind and slightly lower than the alternator?

Attachments

• 20210918_111335.jpg
    20210918_111335.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • 20210918_111417_001.jpg
    20210918_111417_001.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Think it’s a sensor, coolant temp?

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Would anyone know what this is? At the top of the engine almost, on the engine block just behind and slightly lower than the alternator?
Update: I reinstalled the alternator and starter and it started good with the volt light off and after about 15-20 seconds it turned off after that. Start then stop every time after that. Fuel is getting into the carburetor. I took the filter and pan off and saw a little smoke coming from the carburetor. (Might be normal just describing what I saw). It's been a an oil change or so since I replaced the fuel filter. But I don't think it would be that since I don't drive it that much and it was running fine before I started cleaning grounds and changing the alternator and starter out. At least the volt lights out lol. The EGR valve isn't stuck. 🤔

83'Regal3.8L

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2020
Update: I reinstalled the alternator and starter and it started good with the volt light off and after about 15-20 seconds it turned off after that. Start then stop every time after that. Fuel is getting into the carburetor. I took the filter and pan off and saw a little smoke coming from the carburetor. (Might be normal just describing what I saw). It's been a an oil change or so since I replaced the fuel filter. But I don't think it would be that since I don't drive it that much and it was running fine before I started cleaning grounds and changing the alternator and starter out. At least the volt lights out lol. The EGR valve isn't stuck. 🤔
Update #2
I kept looking everything over and I found that it was in fact an air leak. Why it kept shutting off. I'm sure someone on here mentioned. I Greatly Appreciate everyone's knowledge and help.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor