Anyone just keeping it stock to cruise around anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donagain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
Mine has about 56000 miles on it . The interior looks like new . The guy I bought it from tossed out the original six banger and put in a crapped out used 350 from a truck . I put in a crate 350 , a quadrajet and a new aluminum rad. Other than that I don't plan to upgrade anything . It's cool enough for me.

Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I made the mistake of letting someone drive one of the 83 Regals, the one with I think right about 55k on the odometer.

Well, it threw a belt on the engine. Problem is, it was same belt that drove the engine fan. As you can imagine, it overheated.

Person driving either didn't see, or ignored, the dash idiot light. The story goes, it stalled, and steam came out from underhood. It wouldn't restart when I got there, but, it did restart a couple days later after it was trailered to the warehouse.

It now has noise in the engine, and, very poor vacuum - brakes barely work.

So.... I parked it, as it sits, back about 15-20 years ago and haven't gone back to it since. I guess someday I'll do something with it. Pull apart the engine, see if it was head gasket and valve issue, or what happened. I'm reluctant to change the originality, but it's no good as an ornament either.

If the engine changes it'll be a buick 350. Otherwise I've got plenty of gaskets around and freshly rebuilt stock spec heads in machine bags. Who knows. Maybe it's finally time to diagnose the carnage.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I get keeping it stock to a point, but once it hits 100k, all bets are off. My Bonneville had 83,500 on it when I got it, and I drove it 3 years like that, bone stock 2bbl, 3.8 Burick At 155k, I went ham.

Reactions: 6 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
"Stock", I have come to appreciate, is something of a subjective term. Since my own 85 SS now possesses a four speed and clutch, I can hardly call it stock but beyond that nothing else has been significantly upgraded. A lot of the old sheet metal had to be cut away and new pieces fit into place but that is life in the rust belt.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I made the mistake of letting someone drive one of the 83 Regals, the one with I think right about 55k on the odometer.

Well, it threw a belt on the engine. Problem is, it was same belt that drove the engine fan. As you can imagine, it overheated.

Person driving either didn't see, or ignored, the dash idiot light. The story goes, it stalled, and steam came out from underhood. It wouldn't restart when I got there, but, it did restart a couple days later after it was trailered to the warehouse.

It now has noise in the engine, and, very poor vacuum - brakes barely work.

So.... I parked it, as it sits, back about 15-20 years ago and haven't gone back to it since. I guess someday I'll do something with it. Pull apart the engine, see if it was head gasket and valve issue, or what happened. I'm reluctant to change the originality, but it's no good as an ornament either.

If the engine changes it'll be a buick 350. Otherwise I've got plenty of gaskets around and freshly rebuilt stock spec heads in machine bags. Who knows. Maybe it's finally time to diagnose the carnage.

09755399-FCF5-4252-9804-FB55E04ADEAF.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
I like original, you can have the carb hopped up, and give it some more advance, maybe some nice exhaust, but that’s it for me. It’s not a drag car.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
other than a little work in the engine room I keep most of my sh*t stock, I got tired of breaking sh*t and spending money to fix something that would have been fine if I hadn't ****ed with it.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor