At a loss......

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Same, my skillset is I.T. more than being a mechanic.

But tbh, you can rule out a fusible link. Because those WILL burn up, if there is too much current flowing into them.

From what I've gathered so far, your vehicle has the engine shut off, after running for a bit of time.

To me, that seems like either the following.

1. Grounding issue.
2. Distributor issue.
3. Fuel issue.

However, given the fact your voltages are spiking, it's a good idea to check your grounds like I said, but also your wiring harness too. Shorts can cause issues like that.

And also, check your fusebox, for bad contacts and fuses. Now do you see anything labelled ECM or BCM there?

If so, you may want to disconnect the computer completely and use a distributor that isn't dependent on the CCC.
i did check all the fuses when i first got the car, could definitely do it again. on the distributor ive changed ignition coil/cap/rotor/ignition module.
what else is left as part of a distributor? pickup coil and shaft?

i did IT awhile ago for an adult school district, teachers didn't believe i was there to fix stuff and thought i was a student lol

i'm in cyber security now

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
I'd say try another coil since I didn't notice that you said it was replaced. With the fuel side also check for kinks in the line too. When I first put my '72 Monte together back in the '90's I put a too long rubber line at the gas tank that ended up starving the carb when I put my foot in it causing it to stall due to a kink in that line.
i can try another coil, that would be an easy one to test again. Fuel lines that may need some pro help on.
ill report back

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
A possible issue is that the replacement parts are sub standard quality, a increasingly common problem with old cars. Anymore I try to only use name brand parts but even that isn't a guarantee the parts are good. Auto store tests are not reliable.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
i can try another coil, that would be an easy one to test again. Fuel lines that may need some pro help on.
ill report back
You said you changed the fuel filter. Where is it located on your car ? Is it before the fuel pump and fed from the line coming out of the frame ? If it is, did you kink the rubber fuel line when you put it in ? Sounds crazy but Ive seen people do that.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
You said you changed the fuel filter. Where is it located on your car ? Is it before the fuel pump and fed from the line coming out of the frame ? If it is, did you kink the rubber fuel line when you put it in ? Sounds crazy but Ive seen people do that.
i changed the one that’s in front of carburetor , tube shaped. is there another ? may not be explaining myself correctly

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
A possible issue is that the replacement parts are sub standard quality, a increasingly common problem with old cars. Anymore I try to only use name brand parts but even that isn't a guarantee the parts are good. Auto store tests are not reliable.
i bought Standard blue streak rotor/cap/coil
i agree def not a guarantee

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Some folks run a metal canister filter in front of the fuel pump but you would know it if you had one
looks like this the one i changed

Attachments

• C0DD4194-FC79-4EF1-B5BF-ABB11848DE40.jpeg
    C0DD4194-FC79-4EF1-B5BF-ABB11848DE40.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 108
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor