BIG UPDATE! Attempt to 3D print air deflector screw caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
So...Probably figured it was time for an update on this. The guy that I gave the original piece to do make some 3D printed caps has totally flaked out on me, and will not return my calls or texts at all. I have a possible address for him. TBH, I'm debating pursuing it further or not. Thankfully, I'm not out any money, but he's still holding on to the original I gave him to scan. I have one other cap, but it's not in as good condition as the one I gave him. I reached out to a local 3D scanning business, and they quoted me $150 to do a scan. From there, I could shop it out to anyone with a 3D printer to make duplicates.

That seems high to me, since the guy I talked to (the guy that flaked on me, and is still holding my piece hostage) said he made 10 sets, and would only charge me $80 total. Then again, I'm here holding the bag with nothing to show for it. Although that's a lot of money for what's arguably a non-essential piece, I'm debating biting the bullet and getting the scan done. I guess the only way it would make sense to me is if I could get a handful of them made, and sell them. Assuming I could get some good-quality dupes made, would any of you be interested in buying them for say $10-20 a set? Just trying to get an idea of the level of interest.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
shapeways.com is a contract 3d shop, you upload a file and have them print.

What material did this guy you have do it print them in? They make a carbon fiber material that would be a great fit, a printer called the onyx black runs it if I remember right.

I doubt you need a scan, any good cad drafter can look at it and get it near enough to work.

Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Yeah, I've had a couple of guys offer to do duplicates just based on photos. I think I'd get a better quality piece from a scan file. Still on-the-fence on how I want to move forward with this.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Possible exciting developments with this, but I'm going to hold off from sharing more until it's a little more official. Stay tuned.

Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
OK. So wanted to give an update on this. The scammer that took my old cap and went off-grid is ancient history. I've moved on. I got a new set from Ribbedroof that were in really good shape. I have sent them off to SEMA, and they are going to do a full CAD scan of them, and said the output file will be mine to share and distribute as I wish, so basically, open-source. Once I get it, I will be happy to share it with whoever wants it. Will continue to update as news develops.

• Friendly
Reactions: 6 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Man that stinks. I had a half decent set I used, just used some non permanent adhesive and stuck them in there. A new set would be nice, hope something comes good out of this.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
def keep us posted, as I haven't had a good chance to go over the "Gypsy wagon" as of yet, and don't know if I need these or not.....

onefast66nova

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 29, 2014
I have a couple of 3D printers so if you get the file in.stl format I could print some up for anyone who needs them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Winner

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
How smoothly can you print them? What kind of plastic...wonder if it will hold body filler to smooth any ridges or voids?

onefast66nova

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 29, 2014
It prints pretty smooth. Normally I print in pla. They don’t hold up to uv but skimmed with filler and painted should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor