Attempting to Fix Factory Tach & Gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'm going to be honest and say that I do not know what a CDI box is...
Capacitive Discharge Ignition i.e.- MSD 6 or 7 series, Crane, Mallory, Summit, etc. Reason being that those boxes have a separate tach output and the tach should not be run off the coil as a conventional setup.
Again, would someone measure their working filter, so we can find replacement parts?

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
All I did was cut the wires at both ends of the filter,or capacitor,and connect them together.
The filters are pretty much junk when they start to fail,and no one has them.
Guy

IMG_9985.JPG
This is what I'm working with...

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Yep you've got quite a mess there.
IMG_0218.JPG

To compare,heres how mine looks.
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The first thing I would do is get rid of the rubber fuel line and glass filter. I cringe every time I see that. A hot engine is no place for rubber and glass.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
The first thing I would do is get rid of the rubber fuel line and glass filter. I cringe every time I see that. A hot engine is no place for rubber and glass.
I appreciate the feedback... it was just a temporary fix to get the car to the shop.. I have new lines to run and a new carb to put on the car once I fix the other bugs.

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Capacitive Discharge Ignition i.e.- MSD 6 or 7 series, Crane, Mallory, Summit, etc. Reason being that those boxes have a separate tach output and the tach should not be run off the coil as a conventional setup.
Again, would someone measure their working filter, so we can find replacement parts?

I may be able to measure my filter - as it seems that was not the problem... The idle still reads very wrong compared to what it should read and now the only difference is it jumps around when doing so. I still need to find why my gauge is reading 3,000 just above an idle!

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Make sure you have a clean ground and proper voltage to the cluster. My old 79 T/A's tach started jumping around, and the alternator was on the way out. Low voltage makes funny things happen.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Make sure you have a clean ground and proper voltage to the cluster. My old 79 T/A's tach started jumping around, and the alternator was on the way out. Low voltage makes funny things happen.
I'll re-attach the filter because apparently mine worked... The gauge jumps everywhere when the wires are hard wired to each other... and I'll check the ground wire. I have enough problems with the wiring harness that I am debating buying a 20 circuit Painless set-up and gutting the car. :(

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'll re-attach the filter because apparently mine worked... The gauge jumps everywhere when the wires are hard wired to each other... and I'll check the ground wire. I have enough problems with the wiring harness that I am debating buying a 20 circuit Painless set-up and gutting the car. :(
I will suggest American Autowire. My experience dictates that Painless products are anything but..... You can also try Ron Francis ($$$$) or MAD Electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor