Autonomous car threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Fortier

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2016
D-F, Maine
I watched the video. And I believe that Google is more than likely correct. How many times have I reached for my phone to pick it up. Or to fire off a quick text. 11 of 14 accidents means that the fully autonomous car drives too well. Why would we sound an alarm for a safer ride? If giving up my passions for cars for this to take place absolutely, stop it immediately. That hasn't been the case. And what is it you want us to open our eyes up to? There hasn't been any solid facts posted. No names. A post about the fear of people having sex because they don't actually have to drive is the only bit against this. And truthfully, it makes a one night stand so much easier.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ

Tim Fortier

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2016
D-F, Maine
"I say ignore the anecdotes, embrace the data.

I’m ready for our army of Skynet Marshmallow Bumper Bots.

I'm ready for the future. I'm ready for the marshmallows."

Naming my next Boy John Connor.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If the gov only gave out licences to people who never make any mistakes no one would have a licence. It take two or more to have an accident and if the google car gets rear ended so often maybe they want to enhance the brake lights. Also when I am stopped I check the mirror and if someone is coming who does not appear to be interested in stopping I can take evasive maneuvers that are open to me, unlike google who just sits there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
And look at the results if these autonomous cars were the only ones permitted to be on the roads and highways we will only need an insurance policy for fire. All the body shops will close, fewer tow trucks would be required and fewer police officers would be required. Municipalities would loose significant income because there would be no more infractions other than parking tickets. Tire manufactures would sell fewer tires which would cause layoffs. Fewer cars would be needed since the cars will last longer with no collisions and no abusive driving causing some robots to be retired early. ....it will never happen

Last edited:

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I guess I will wade into this after watching it play out. To the OP original premise it has IMO some valid points of consideration. There are also some stretches at this point. 1st off to any one who does not believe that there is an entire political power group that has every intention of taking every freedom away from "We the People" you have your head seriously in the sand. That being said that is a fully Political( NOT a Republican vs Democrat vs Independent but a Them vs We the People one) conversation that is not what this site is about, so that line of topic is closed.

Now as to outlawing technology that is not going to happen nor should it in a "Free Society". We do need to mindful of how it is implemented and properly steer it in a way the is helpful to humanity not a replacement. Drivers ED isn't even a requirement in some states anymore and now states are handing licenses out to people who don't speak/read English. To allow a car to park for you is lazy plain and simple! Acquire the skill. Now helpful radar tracking and driving aides are a benefit provided they don't have the ability to ignore a driver's needs or input. We have all had that instance where either we or the dumba$$ in the other car did something stupid or were looking elsewhere that a notification of an impeding incident is the difference between an accident or a near miss. I for one dislike DBW technology if for no other reason that technology fails and with no physical link to the 3 main parts of a car( steering, throttle, brakes) is something I do not like or endorse, but it is here none the less. So I stick with older vehicles and add the technology I want while retaining the control and independence that an older vehicle lets me enjoy.

I have an 84 Regal and it has EFI, It has Remote start, It has Sat radio, Hd Radio, multi changer CD's, Blutooth, USB port, Push button start, power everything. So I have created my ideal vehicle which is what our hobby is all about.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
The state sponsored johnny cabs are google and several of them have crashed. Evasive action is a perfect example of the shortcomings of the system.

It seems like the main argument in favor for leaving the autonomous car unopposed is convenience. What makes you so sure you would ever be able to 'retire' again if a tyrant took hold over the reigns of your corrupt establishment in the future? Once again, I am not roll-up windows trying to prevent the advent of the power window. It seems a lot of people don't understand basic concepts in literature such as Aldous Huxley's, Brave New World. Convenience is the argument the opposition uses to coddle you into conformity. It is convenient to go with the flow. It is convenient to accept the propaganda of corporations. It would be convenient to be able to sit in the back of my car, as if it were a limousine with a robot chaffeur, screwing some ho at the same time because I don't happen to be in the mood to drive that day; it would also be wrong. It would technically be cheaper on insurance though, so who cares right? Why has everyone lost their moral compass? The same corporations in bed with your governments are working on these projects together. Are you really so naive you believe that's a coincidence? You will just believe anything they say on TV? It's going to work because they said so... I for one have no interest in putting an Indiana Jones style 'leap of faith' in their systems. It's going to work because some white guy with glasses on tv said so right. Come on guys. Remember, even if you are not going to participate in buying these cars you will have to be on the road with them too, if you don't act now. I still say it's a lie, and they will crash just like human beings do all the time. Why? Water. It rains outside. There's also lightening too by the way, which can cause miniature EMP's and cause autonomous cars to lose connection to a network during a storm. Their main aim is to fire all the truckers lets not forget that part of the argument. I guess they are 'todays cowboys' but all restaurants would be Taco Bell if we still didn't have cowboys today. Join the right side of this argument. If you want a gimmick buy a drone.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
They don't exactly have their own private space program (yet) ; those gps satellites that steer the car didn't get up there without meeting Uncle Sam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor