bad gasoline? (not!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
Don't forget to put a layer of thermal paste between the heatsink and the module. Just like the CPU on the desktop motherboard. Or between a power transistor and its heatsink. Many "rewritten" instructions omit that step.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Quality heat sink compound is a must... when i aquired a 2005 gmc scsb truck(4.3L/4L60E) almost 3yrs ago, i used the Dow Corning 340 compound(good to 350F) to replace the goop that was used between the factory ICM and the aluminum finned heatsink, worked like a charm, and to this day, no issues whatsoever from my ignition system.

You wont need much, so all you need is the 1oz contaner - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D0HVYHI/?tag=gbody-20

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
It’s got heat sink compound. Between both the module and the factory aluminum heat sink, and between the factory aluminum heat sink and the added copper heat sink.

Luckily I do have a spare GM AC Delco module on hand. It’s used but at least I can give it a try to see if it makes a difference in the stumbled idle conditions.

Reactions: 1 user

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I changed the ignition module. It’s still doing the exact same thing. It starts off running good from a cold start. Then when it warms up really good, it starts acting up. Not right when it reaches operating temperature, but after it’s been running at operating temperature for 10-15 minutes. Then it starts acting up.

Changing the module was no love lost. It’s an easy thing to do. And I had a spare so no wasted money either.

When its at the point of acting up it also develops a valve train tap but it’s a deeper than the rocker arm I think. Maybe a lifter collapse? Next I will check the valve adjustment since that doesn’t cost anything.

Vacuum is good at idle 21 in Hg.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I changed the ignition module. It’s still doing the exact same thing. It starts off running good from a cold start. Then when it warms up really good, it starts acting up. Not right when it reaches operating temperature, but after it’s been running at operating temperature for 10-15 minutes. Then it starts acting up.

Changing the module was no love lost. It’s an easy thing to do. And I had a spare so no wasted money either.

When its at the point of acting up it also develops a valve train tap but it’s a deeper than the rocker arm I think. Maybe a lifter collapse? Next I will check the valve adjustment since that doesn’t cost anything.

Vacuum is good at idle 21 in Hg.

I would suggest before doing anything thats in depth with any engine , check fuel pressure and voltage at the HEI.

Let it idle and see what the readings are when it stumbles. That way, at least you can eliminate any fuel or spark issue before tearing down the block.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge, and an oscilloscope, that would help quite decent.

I would also check to see if you have a return line too, to also eliminate a factor of vapor lock in the summer weather.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Fuel pressure is good.

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
Sometimes a rubber vacuum line will expand and then fit loosely on the fitting. The hose may look good but will pull off easily. The vacuum leak would only affect idle.

Otherwise put a timing light on each plug lead while you idle and rev the engine. You are looking for "dropouts."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor