BAD LUCK AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Mild dawn dish soap, nice blue stuff, breaks down the oil nice.

Sucks that it went bad, but the gauge companies switching to the plastic stuff isn't surprising....

Copper is expensive, you add how much they save on each unit and it ends up big money.
Thanx for the tip. I’ve also been told alcohol or brake parts cleaner are supposed to do real good. Guess I’ll find out starting with the cheapest (dish soap) then alcohol, etc. My son who works for one of the biggest oil equipment companies in Dallas, said he’ll send me a cleaner that they have specifically for this purpose As bad as the situation is, it’s nice to hear there’s more than one thing to try. Now if the 1/16 fittings were as plentiful, I’d be smiling.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The ends on those metal blow guns with the multiple tips are 1/16", that is what I used to adapt my braided line to the gauge.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I used the plastic line once on a Buick 350 I just rebuilt, after a hour or so of driving smoke started pouring out of the engine compartment. I thought the engine was gone but it was just the line spewing oil on the headers...I have used copper or SS braided line since then

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fonz

n00b
Aug 6, 2019
That Plastic JUNK should never be" supplied" with the pressure gauges to begin with ! It "crinks", it gets brittle and breaks, it gets holes worn in it . I think the companies that supply that stuff should be" held responsible" for the damage they always make. Breaking" Inside the car" is the Least of it, if it breaks at the engine,... ENGINE FIRE, engine FAILURE.. Never use that garbage.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Before I took my wagon apart one of my neighbors let me store it in his garage for 3 winters while my coupe was sideways in my own garage. The last time I had it in there mice chewed through the plastic line. Stared it up, pulled it out and discovered oil under the car all over his brick driveway. I had a hell of a time cleaning up the mess.
After that incident I decided to switch over to all electric gauges in both cars. No leaks. I have new carpet in both cars. Dont even want to take a chance. I figured if every new car out there comes with electric Im sure theyre going to work out in my stuff.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I decided to switch over to all electric gauges in both cars.
For me oil pressure is the one mechanical gauge that I like keeping mechanical, with no sender that can go bad you either have oil pressure or you don't.
Since using copper or braided tubing solves the issue I will stay with them.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
So I'll just come out and say it. Ask a chemist and they'll tell you that the plastic tubing won't 'break down' and give out for 100 years, short of laying out in the sunlight for a longggggggg time or laying against the exhaust. It is also verrrrrrry rub resistent.

That being said, I prefer copper tubing.

That being said, copper tubing doesn't install itself correctly. At 1/8" diameter, the walls are very thin. It will kink and break too if carelessly installed. 999 out of 1000 issues are operator error, and the other 1 is probably a mouse.

Doug, even with copper tubing, make sure that you use a correctly sized grommet at the firewall (or a piece of vacuum hose). Make as large of diameter bends/curves as possible everywhere. Tubing clamps are a good safe idea to mount the tubing to support areas. And don't be afraid to use a 90 degree compression fitting to help fitment instead of a overly-tight bend. You named this thread 'bad luck'. Quit relying on 'good luck', use common sense, and make sure that you are comfortable with the job before you start the car after install. If it don't feel right, it probably ain't right.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
As I’ve said before, this stuff is all new to me. Give me a door or fender to straighten and lighn up, I’m at home. All this mechanical stuff is trial and ERRORS for me.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Take pics of questionable situations and post for help. Maybe you already know this, but in case you don't...……………..GOOGLE search what you are working on such as "oil pressure line routing" or "gauge install" and hit the IMAGES tab and check out the pics that others post and then roll with what you think is best. Change a few key words and get new pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor