Best 200R4 Shift Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.Wagner

Apprentice
Jan 23, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Hi All,

I am going to be getting my transmission rebuilt in the next month or so. I have 85K miles on my '83 Hurst/Olds and when I recently dropped the pan for a repair there was a bunch of metal chunks in there. It hasn't been acting right for quite a while anyway :(

I already have a shift kit in the car but I am not sure what it is. I was looking at a CK Performance shift kit as that seems to be a highly regarded choice for these transmissions. What other kits have you guys had experience with/would recommend. The car is totally stock (Olds 307) so it doesn't need to handle crazy HP/torque, but I definitely want to make sure my transmission sticks around for quite a while.

Thanks,
Tyler

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Trans-go kits are supposed to be highly regarded in the 200-4R. That's probably what I'll end up using when mine gets built.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
a shift kit isn't a remedy for metal in the pan.. sounds like you need to dig into the trans and find out where the metal chunks came from

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
The CK Performance one is one of the best. There are other decent ones too but you really can't go wrong with the CK one. It is highly regarded by many of the hardcore GN guys.

T.Wagner

Apprentice
Jan 23, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Peter said:
a shift kit isn't a remedy for metal in the pan.. sounds like you need to dig into the trans and find out where the metal chunks came from

I know, I am going to have the transmission rebuilt. I am wondering what shift kit to put in while it is rebuilt! :)

DoubleV said:
The CK Performance one is one of the best. There are other decent ones too but you really can't go wrong with the CK one. It is highly regarded by many of the hardcore GN guys.

Yeah, that seems to be what I am finding. Thanks!

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Whoever rebuilds your Trans will have one that they prefer you to use to match the rebuild level you choose. Www.extremeautomatics.com Lonnie Diere did two for me and I had good success with both.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I used a Hughes kit 20 years ago with excellent results. Go with the middle level rather than the extreme (barks the tires) level and the trans, driveshaft and differential side gears will last longer. The 200-4R replaced a TH350 set for extreme. If your car goes 'clank' around a corner, you just ate a side gear. As me how I know.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I have used the CK kit in the past and definatly recommend it, I would also strongly recommend upgrading to a larger servo the original one is too small and will not allow sufficient clamping pressure on the second gear band leading to early failure. I've used CK's billet servo with great results but a stock "694" servo from a 86-87 GN BRF code trans will work well also.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Nothing wrong with the ck and the transgo kits. What ever you choose you need the larger boost valve. I use a .500 but chris has a .555 piece for even more pressure. I like a larger rev boost valve to get the pressure up in low and rev and you need the spring to put in there too. Hard rings for the pump, and I use a stiffer slide spring.

His trans should have a "692" servo unless it got pilfered at an earlier overhaul. CK piece is modeled after one of the th200, the largest one the factory produced. I used a sonnax that i got on the cheap. Any of the "performance" pieces should work fine but you need to retain the cushion spring to avoid the 3-2 downshift clunk.

Be sure your builder has a knowledge of the 2004r. Lots of nightmare stories out there from the local guy who builds great a th350 and he tried his hand at a 2004r.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor