Best Carb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
One must remember that it is easy to get the fuel in but you need 14 times more air. I agree, too much carb

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would stay away from the Holley brand and buy one of the other Holley style carbs.
Holleys quality is garbage
I have always thought this way and later I would only run "Holley style" carbs with my last one being a Quickfuel 1150 that actually uses a Holley HP main body, this carb worked great and it was a given that when I stepped up to a 1250 that I would order a Quickfuel.
Well when it got here I realized Quickfuel changed their main body to their own design and casting which even though it was polished it had a rough sand cast look to it and when I tore it apart to inspect I found the rear metering block is made without provisions for a power valve instead of just a plug an option I like to at least have in a street car.
So I ordered Holley's new Ultra 3 1250 and did a side by side comparison and I was really impressed with the quality and craftsmanship and the added features like the larger fuel bowls and center idle adjustment so I decided to keep the Holley and threw it on my current 565 and out of the box it works great with only minor adjustment.
Now I don't know about Holley's 4150 carbs but I feel Holley has stepped up their game and are worth a try.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
hard to beat a q jet. If anybody needs to know how to fix a wore out throttle shaft let me know

Reactions: 2 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Briggs and Stratton valve guide bushings and I think I still have a bunch of the throttle plate screws around

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
Seems there are many varied opinions on the subject. As for the car it will be a street/strip car mostly week end cruise ins. I ran an edelbrock 750 and Holley 750 vacuums advance carb on the motor when I had it in an s10. It ran low 12’s in the s10. I always felt it needed more carb and like the look and style of the hp. As for the future build you are right nothing on the 355 will go on the 427. It will likely be a turn key deal when it is done in the future.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
hard to beat a q jet. If anybody needs to know how to fix a wore out throttle shaft let me know
It's funny you should mention that. I'm in the middle of rebuilding a Q-jet carb, but at a standstill because there seems to be too much play in the primary throttle shaft. It's pretty much done except for rebushing the baseplate.
If you have a decent source for the parts, or have extras that you'd be willing to sell, I'd be interested.

Last edited:

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Your always going to get varied opinions and only you can make the final decision. Sounds like your going to want drivability the HP doesn't have a choke and it's mechanical secondary's. If you run the numbers you will see you don't need a 750. Can you run a 750 of course, but it's going to need to be tuned to your needs. I run a 750 on my 350 chevy but there are different circumstances involved and it's tuned with a wide band. I can even leave from a dead idle w/o a problem.

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor