Best choice for pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
hypers are also light and stable--so you don't get piston rock! usually a good thing

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
The way you are building your engine, I'd just go with Hypers. On a stock crank, stock rod engine I'd be willing to bet the rods give up before a hyper piston does. But thats just my opinion

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
79loserbluebu said:
The way you are building your engine, I'd just go with Hypers. On a stock crank, stock rod engine I'd be willing to bet the rods give up before a hyper piston does. But thats just my opinion

Sry i got to ask what does stock rods and crank got to do with it? As for what piston to use

TheFullMonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2010
I think he is just saying that if you put new pistons in the stock (used) crank, and stock (used) rods would then be the weaker link in the rotating assembly. correect me if I'm wrong tho :wink:

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Yup that's it. I really don't think you need forged pistons with a stock rod and stock crank.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
The only bad hypers are the Ford ones I've heard of my ford buddies talking sh*t on them not sure why... But other than that hypers are generally good.

jordanfr13

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Morris, MB, Canada
Thanks again guys. I know which material I'll be getting....but I still don't know what style I need. If anybody could spend a few minutes doing a bit of searching for me, using the specs I've given, I would be very grateful. Anybody know what "Compression distance" is?

jordanfr13

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Morris, MB, Canada
So...I did a bit more digging around, And going by stock rod length, block height and stroke, I believe my compression distance is 1.585. So in other words, if I bought a completely flat top piston, with a compression distance of 1.585, it would come exactly flush with the deck at TDC, correct? And quench is the distance between the piston top and the deck, so in that case, it would be 0? Or would it be 0 + however thick my head gasket is?

jordanfr13

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Morris, MB, Canada
I'll have to check and see what thickness and diameter my head gasket is. But thanks, and that gave you 10:1? are you sure it's -5 and not +5? Are they flattops with valve reliefs, or are they actually built with part of the piston higher than the flat part?
Here are the pistons I'm looking into right now

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-17350-30/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor