Best Edelbrock Carb/Intake Upgrades for Stock 305 2BBL V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
What rear gear ratio do you have in the car? If it has something like a 2.29 then a 3.08 would feel great and still be reasonable on the highway without overdrive. It just depends on how you will use the car and what you want from it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Edelbrock carbs are garbage. A nice dual plane intake and properly tuned Quadrajet should suffice.

• Agree

Looter

Apprentice
Jun 27, 2016
What rear gear ratio do you have in the car? If it has something like a 2.29 then a 3.08 would feel great and still be reasonable on the highway without overdrive. It just depends on how you will use the car and what you want from it.

Yeah it's a 2.29 or something similar.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm sure Texas82GP was thinking of this when he posted, the 3.08 gears will fit on the 2 series carrier you have....

No, you're giving me more credit than I'm due. I was just thinking the 3.08 would make it feel better without being too extreme on the highway without an overdrive. I didn't even consider if the 3.08 would fit his carrier or not. Thanks for the benefit of the doubt though.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Luke;
I'd leave the top end alone. Those old Rochester 2 barrels ran awesome. If you insist on doing something you can put an edelbrock performer intake and use the 2barrel to square bore spacer/adapter. Get better response, but honestly if it already runs well, leave it alone. Start with the exhaust and see how that feels.
If memory serves mine came with a 2.72 rear gear & I swapped to the 3.08 using the same carrier. Worked out well as I ran the 3.08 about 29 out of the 37 years I've had the car. Do the exhaust next, that will free up flow for any future mods. Like an intake, per SoFloG suggested. And get into the distributor, re curve it and add a box with more spark. These modest mods will make a big difference & will be transferable to a larger SB in the future if you elect to continue the quest for more power. Take care & enjoy, Bob Jr

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor