Best Edelbrock Carb/Intake Upgrades for Stock 305 2BBL V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looter

Apprentice
Jun 27, 2016
About a month ago I bought a 1978 Buick Regal coupe, straight body, new(ish) paint, rebuilt 305 that runs like a dream, and a TH200 Transmission. It was a Pennsylvania car so road salt did its thing, but the car has been undercoated. The only notable rust is in the rear passenger side bumper mount and under the drivers side floor pan, both are to be repaired soon.

The car isn't slow, but it's not the muscle car I want it to be. I recently heard from a local Monte Carlo SS owner that 305s w/ stock Cams can't take a Carburetor bigger than 500cfm without losing power. I plan to upgrade the stock exhaust to duals with GN style side pipes.

Also I am curious what Intake Manifold to install, the car currently has a 2BBL Factory Carb.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
I'd leave the top end alone. Those old Rochester 2 barrels ran awesome. If you insist on doing something you can put an edelbrock performer intake and use the 2barrel to square bore spacer/adapter. Get better response, but honestly if it already runs well, leave it alone. Start with the exhaust and see how that feels.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
As far as a replacement manifold is concerned, I'd go with a Edelbrock Performer, or comparable dual plane manifold for a relatively stock 305. As for the carb, your friend is pretty much on the money. A 500 cfm carb would be about right for that engine...or find a correct Quadrajet carb calibrated for a 305.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Looter

Apprentice
Jun 27, 2016
I'd leave the top end alone. Those old Rochester 2 barrels ran awesome. If you insist on doing something you can put an edelbrock performer intake and use the 2barrel to square bore spacer/adapter. Get better response, but honestly if it already runs well, leave it alone. Start with the exhaust and see how that feels.

What about upgraded air cleaners? I wanna get an Edelbrock but I'm not sure what will fit the 2BBL.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Mr. Gasket and Spectre make a base adapter that is horn shaped that fits 4bbl air cleaners to 2bbl carbs. Goes right between the carb and base plate of the air cleaner and also acts like a miniature velocity stack. Less than $20.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
If you want to pep it up a little look into upgrading your hei ignition with a hotter coil or new distributor , and do the dual exhaust. Get you a few horses more and better driveability without compromising anything.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What about upgraded air cleaners? I wanna get an Edelbrock but I'm not sure what will fit the 2BBL.

I have an air/fuel mixture gauge in my car, with an open air cleaner I ran richer than I do with a GM duel snorkel air cleaner. If you are going for performance over looks I'd use the one you have now or if you go with a quadrajet find a duel snorkel

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
My Salon had a bone stock 305 Chevy when I bought it. I put on a Performer RPM and a Holley 4160 600 cfm. It ran fantastic and even better after fine tuning it. It was a waaay noticeable difference. Holley's website has a "how to choose the right carb" I checked it out for you and they listed 4 Demon 625's. I can speak from experience that the 600 Holley will work awesome on a 305. If you get a Performer RPM intake, be sure the carb flange is for squarebore

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor