Best LS Conversion Motor Mount for G Body Swap (let me know which is your pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
I am considering an LS swap into my 1985 El Camino (currently with the warmed over 305). I am trying to find the best LS conversion motor mount for a gbody swap. I would love to hear opinions as to which is best. My thinking is that the criteria for best LS conversion motor mount should be:

1. Quality of fit onto LS motor;

2. Quality of materials (it appears to me that steel mount would be significantly stronger);

3. Whether LS Conversion motor mount gets the LS motor into the same position as the original 305;

4. Adjustability of mount (I do not know whether this is needed if the mount is a dedicated gbody conversion mount); and

5. Cost of the LS conversion motor mount.

Let me know whether there are other criteria that should be considered.

Last edited:

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
There are many options but you are asking the wrong question. The problem with a G body swap isn't just the motor mounts. Headers, exhaust, oil pan and transmission cross member fitment is also a big issue. Hooker / Holley makes a complete system that is designed to work together as a system. It fits perfect and unlike other systems does not create issues like a low hanging oil pan and huge engine inclination angle.

Dirty ***** sells a sliding type mount but not sure what it does to the engine height.

Reactions: 1 user

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
there's a lot more to an ls swap than motor mounts. even after you get everything to fit right you still have wiring harness, fuel lines, throttle, air induction, cooling, computer tune. i would do a lot of research before you started. this site has many good things to get you started.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
there's a lot more to an ls swap than motor mounts. even after you get everything to fit right you still have wiring harness, fuel lines, throttle, air induction, cooling, computer tune. i would do a lot of research before you started. this site has many good things to get you started.
Thanks!!!

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
There are many options but you are asking the wrong question. The problem with a G body swap isn't just the motor mounts. Headers, exhaust, oil pan and transmission cross member fitment is also a big issue. Hooker / Holley makes a complete system that is designed to work together as a system. It fits perfect and unlike other systems does not create issues like a low hanging oil pan and huge engine inclination angle.

Dirty ***** sells a sliding type mount but not sure what it does to the engine height.
Thanks!!!!!

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
If you want to place the motor in the stock location then the hooker mounts are a win, they do require their expensive pan but it will fit and there is plenty of knowledge base behind the system. If you want options later for trans swaps or fancy exhausts, they supply that also if you don't mind the premium they charge.

without any of the other parts of the equation considered, the Holley mounts work well, have good instructions and are a quality product.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The holley kit works well but is engineered to make holley money. If you want a drop in solution its a good option, but there are other ways to do it that will save money.

My favorite I have seen is

CTS-V oil pan
Spohn swap mounts
4th gen F body block mounts
Stock pickup accessories

Allows stock AC pump location which is a huge win.

The speed engineering G body LS swap headers work well in that application from what I understand. Stainless too.

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/the-winning-ls-swap-combination-which-parts.73006/#post-692767

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
The holley kit works well but is engineered to make holley money. If you want a drop in solution its a good option, but there are other ways to do it that will save money.

CTS-V oil pan
Spohn swap mounts
Stock pickup accessories

The speed engineering G body LS swap headers work well in that application from what I understand. Stainless too.

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/the-winning-ls-swap-combination-which-parts.73006/#post-692767

Thank you for your input. This is exactly what I am looking for (repurposing existing stock equipment combined with some aftermarket equipement).

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida

CTS-V oil pan
Spohn swap mounts
Stock pickup accessories

The Spohn guys were great to work with. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor