Best shocks for G-Bodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

87z16

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Corey said:
87z16 said:
the Bilsteins are firm compared to the bone jarring KYB's. it seems like they have better valving and adjust better to what/how u drive.

Since I'm rebuilding my suspension while there is snow on the ground this year I'm searching for some shocks. ...but, just like everyone else especially in these times, I'm on a budget. I have been considering getting the Bilstien because of all the positive reviews but they're towards the upper end of my budget, but since I work at a dealership I can get a HUGE discount on KYB gas-a-just so I'm drawn to them because of price.

So I'm at a fork in the road. I won't be racing my car, just a cruiser. I do care about ride comfort but I am lowering it so I fully accept the inevitable of losing some ride quality. So do the Bilstien's make such a big difference from the KYB gas-a-just that its worth 3x the cost (considering I can't get a discount on the bilstiens through my work)?

Will the gas-a-just offer a better ride then OEM spec shocks?

well i think the type of roads that you drive give u the answer. if they are cratered and pot marked get the Bilsteins. if they are relatively smooth get the KYB's. especially if price needs to be considered.

ElkyHolik87

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2011
S.G.V
With Hotchkis springs and there Bilstein shocks that they tune for lowered car aplications you don't lose ride comfort at all, and at the same time performance is second to none. This is where the dollar amount comes into play. I have over a grand into my suspension and thats with junk yard priced F41 sway bars, 4 shocks and 2 springs at 20% off from Hotchkis. If I didn't care about quality my project could be done by now, but I compromise nowhere, and if I do its for a temporary fix. I pride myself in knowing that I have the best :mrgreen:

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
ok then anyone that went from KYB`s to bilteins , or vice versa ,feedback

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I havn't used Bilstein self adjusting shocks so I don't know what they are like, I use AK Bilstein linear shocks

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
I used the bilstiens recomended by Hotchkis along with their springs and must say the car handles great and rides so smooth. I love it.

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Im running the Belltech lowered shock.. im lowered 4 inches in the front and 2 in the rear.. no complaints but they have only been on about 1k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor