Best sub $100 job you did to your GBody

Status
Not open for further replies.

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
I can get a good large sub for about $10.

Reactions: 1 user

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
I pulled a transmission cooler from a 1995 Buick Roadmaster from my local salvage yard for $15 and installed it in my 1979 Hurst/Olds. Two of the mounting points of the cooler brackets lined up with pre-existing holes on the radiator support so I only had to make 1 extra hole.

Attachments

• DSCN1622.JPG
    DSCN1622.JPG
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: 6 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I pulled a transmission cooler from a 1995 Buick Roadmaster from my local salvage yard for $15 and installed it in my 1979 Hurst/Olds. Two of the mounting points of the cooler brackets lined up with pre-existing holes on the radiator support so I only had to make 1 extra hole.
Yards are full of Coolers for trans/oil/power steering. I got an Oil cooler from a Chevy Pickup. Pickups have all sorts of coolers.

Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Homemade rear frame brace, aka Jeff bar. Simply cut a piece of square tubing at a angle to the width of the to bumper shock mounting pads on the frame. Then drill bolt holes that match the bumper shock mounting bolt holes. Two bolt holes on one end, a single hole on the other end, three in total.
http://jeffd.50megs.com/frame_brace_page.htm

Reactions: 4 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
20211219_155505.jpg

Jeep Cherokee steering wheel from local You Pull It $10
Ebay sport steering wheel horn button $28
Fiebings black leather die $9

I really dislike the 81-88 non-sport steering wheel and the sport steering wheels are obscenely priced now-a-days. So I pulled a steering wheel from an 80's Jeep Cherokee at the local yard, bought a sport horn button on ebay and dyed them both with leather dye. Then I modified the pieces that secure the jeep horn button to accept the Olds horn button. Took 1-2 hours total.

I'll probably go to hell for saying this....but with 3 stainless spokes rather than 2 painted, a thicker feel, and better quality, softer leather (no beef jerkey)......I think I prefer the Jeep wheel to the Olds sport wheel.

My only regret is that for the past 10+ years I've been pulling every Cherokee steering shaft that I come across at the local yard......completely oblivious to the fact that the steering wheel is a direct swap into g-bodys.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I made my upper door panels and matching rears for under $100 in materials using my faded originals as the base after stripping them down.
I am not a fan of all that chrome or the plastic woodgrain plus I needed to make a spot for my 6.5" speaker.

20170702_192601_resized.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor