Best tool storage observations

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I know this will be subjective and will be different for all. I just wish I would have had a little more guidance before I went out and bought a bunch of storage before finding what really worked best for me. Anything I say here is just my experience and my opinion. I am just a DIY person, not a pro mechanic.

Spend on good tools storage second. Storage is just a box to hold everything. The tools do the work. Most name brand boxes will do the job. This said the low end that come out at Christmas time for $100 may bend when loaded with tools. Look at Craig's List for used etc.

Think about drawer size. I found a Kennedy bottom cabinet that was in near new shape for $50. Thought it was a great deal. Unfortunately all but one of the drawers are shallow ones. Cannot store many tools in it for its size. Another cabinet that I have that is narrower with few drawers holds far more since it has a mix of deep and shallow drawers.

Get a good bench. Weather it is part of a cabinet or not you can always use space to work. Place a vice on it. I have a small 4 inch vice with an anvil on one end. It swivels and has a cut out to hold pipes. I prefer wood tops. I also place a rubber work mat on it with edges so any spilled fluids or rolling nuts do not make it to the floor.

Big cabinets look good but do they fit your need? I bought a US General top and bottom. It hold allot of tools and for the price is an excellent box. I bought this after the rolling bench to hold all my tools. Issue was at the time I filled it 3/4 of the way but it was so big it stayed in the same spot in the garage all the time. I was always filling a tool box to work on a car that was only 30 feet away. It may sound lazy but it gets old quick walking back and forth to the tool chest all day. Now it holds my lesser used tools due to the next item I bought.

Last piece of storage I bought I should have gotten first or right after the bench. The US General 5 drawer cart. This swallows tools and is priced lower than most tool chest. All the tools I generally use are now stored on this. It even has a tray for common spray cans I use. Wheels are big enough to roll it to where I am working. There is a shelf that flips up on the side to use for work space. I still have the larger cabinet and it is full but all the tools in it are ones not used for most jobs.

On a side note the magnetic accessories save allot of space. I have two glove holders, one for my and the other for my kids size. Towel roll holders, small shelves, screwdriver racks, can holders etc. Each of these magnetic holders attach one more item to the outside of a cart that is no longer stored on a bench, shelf or floor.

Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
^^^^Good post. My latest problem is trying to reorganize; you have no idea how hard that is once you get used to which drawer holds what. It's akin to rippling the space/time continuum. Some of the drawers in the old setup were mixed use and others were overcrowded, so I added another base cabinet. I'm still djickin' with what works where, and it's frustrating as hell!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
^^^^Good post. My latest problem is trying to reorganize; you have no idea how hard that is once you get used to which drawer holds what. It's akin to rippling the space/time continuum. Some of the drawers in the old setup were mixed use and others were overcrowded, so I added another base cabinet. I'm still djickin' with what works where, and it's frustartng as hell!
I have been there a few times. It is worse when you labeled all of the drawers and then change stuff and not the labels. Or out of habit put stuff away in the wrong spot and have to look for it the next day.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I come from the tool and die industry so the natural choice for me was gloss red Kennedy stuff. In the tooling world everything is crinkle brown. They are not cheap. I later bought US General which matches the Kennedy stuff almost perfectly. If I had to do it again I would buy all US General and switch the name. 😎

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I bought a Craftsman lower box years ago, used, off the Snap On truck. It was a trade in, and the Snap On guy owed me so I only paid $200 & he delivered it. It's a 42". Quickly out grew it. Added the top box which was a present from my wife. Still filled it. Really need a 56", 60" or even a 72". The Harbor freight boxes really are the best deal for the money, especially for a home mechanic. JMO

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I had a couple small 3 drawer boxes up until last year. I bought a 44" HF unit and yeah the quality and price are like a sore peter, can't beat it! I'll add a top chest at some point, but it works great for now!
20200506_174540.jpg
20200522_182320.jpg

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Once a year they have the 20% coupon sale good for ANYTHING, no exceptions. You can get a 56" lower box very reasonably.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm rolling with a Craftsman deep top & 2 draw middle on a Stanley bottom. Then I got another bottom that my M-I-L got from the hospital she works at when they were getting new carts (same as a regular bottom.) Now with storage I have my sockets on those Craftsman black & gray plastic rails which I wish Stanley would of kept selling after they bought Craftsman. As for storing them I have my wrenches seperated by inch/metric, sockects by 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, special purpose type. I even have a yard box with basic tools for the yard trips. As for a next big box set up Harbor Fright does have some nice boxes with their General & Icon lines I'll look at.

Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Ive got an older red Husky setup that Ive had for at least 15+ years. 41" box and two side boxes that I added. I sold a Remline upper and lower and I was shopping for a bigger set. I looked at Craftsman and the SS boxes that Costco was selling at the time but I didnt like the amount of drawers that had. I went to the local Home Dumpo and saw the Husky boxes. The day I looked at them I mentioned to my wife that I was thinking about buying them. Two days later I came home from work and my wife was at the back window telling me to toss a bag of garbage into the can in the garage. I opened the door, turned on the light and the boxes were in front of my car with a big bow on the top. She got one of my friends to go with her to buy them. I couldnt believe it ! My wifes a great woman ! Over the next two years I added the two side boxes. Its been a great box but I am getting short on space. If it wasnt a gift from my wife I'd be looking at a HF 56" to replace it but it looks like I'll have this set forever. Unless I win Mega. Then I'll keep this one and buy a bigger one too. LOL

car show 001 (1).jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: Speaking of tool storage I was just looking for something on wheels, portable and will be kept in a shed for when I'm playing. I have no garage and I've been looking but they all look like junk. Any thoughts?
IBBY

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor