Best way to lower a GBody

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Check your current clearance. Subtract 2". Research done.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
DRIVEN said:
Check your current clearance. Subtract 2". Research done.
I don't think sometimes.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It's your rim diameter and your backspacing, that's really what determines if the wheels may fit or not.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Coming from a native hoosier I am a little disappointed to see a G body out here getting lowered bc I saw your build thread and I believe you said this car is your daily driver. Consider using an air ride adjustable suspension/or airbags with the controller so you can adjust ride height at will. It's a little more expensive but will pay for itself if your car is a daily driver, bc when its nasty outside or the salt trucks are out you can put the car up and keep all the salt from hitting your floor/frame. I really feel like you should be doing the exact opposite and 'riding high' with the way those La Porte streets are trashed in some spots. I have hit bumps in your town before and spilled coffee all over my lap - and I was in the Silverado w z71 package going less than 25 so thats bad streets. If you had another vehicle your plan would make perfect sense bc it's nice to have something w a unique ride quality, but I just don't see why you would want such a stiff ride quality, and if you have to drive where snow trucks havent yet plowed you will coat your frame / floors in endless salt as your front chrome rusts out faster than the fin on an icebreaker ship. It will turn brown after just one season of knocking those little ice clumps on the road out of the way.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
pencero said:
Coming from a native hoosier I am a little disappointed to see a G body out here getting lowered bc I saw your build thread and I believe you said this car is your daily driver. Consider using an air ride adjustable suspension/or airbags with the controller so you can adjust ride height at will. It's a little more expensive but will pay for itself if your car is a daily driver, bc when its nasty outside or the salt trucks are out you can put the car up and keep all the salt from hitting your floor/frame. I really feel like you should be doing the exact opposite and 'riding high' with the way those La Porte streets are trashed in some spots. I have hit bumps in your town before and spilled coffee all over my lap - and I was in the Silverado w z71 package going less than 25 so thats bad streets. If you had another vehicle your plan would make perfect sense bc it's nice to have something w a unique ride quality, but I just don't see why you would want such a stiff ride quality, and if you have to drive where snow trucks havent yet plowed you will coat your frame / floors in endless salt as your front chrome rusts out faster than the fin on an icebreaker ship. It will turn brown after just one season of knocking those little ice clumps on the road out of the way.

Oh don't worry, man, I've got a 99 Century for the salt trucks. No way my Regal is ever seeing salt again. As for the beat-up roads, I'm not going any larger than 17" rims to keep a bit of tire sidewall for cushion (in case I absolutely have to hit a hole). There are a handful of guys in Laporte running big rims (including a burgundy Grand Marquis sitting up with very little tire, driven daily) and I don't know how they get around. They must live right in town cuz out in the edges where I live it gets even worse!
P.S. If you're ever in town again, we re-paved Lincolnway! :wink: (sorta)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
pencero said:

You have an excellent point about stiff suspension and snow do not mix. Even in rain you want a softer ride so the car can shift it's weight to help with traction. I drive mine in the summer but on a wet day I take it easy.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
pontiacgp said:
You have an excellent point about stiff suspension and snow do not mix. Even in rain you want a softer ride so the car can shift it's weight to help with traction. I drive mine in the summer but on a wet day I take it easy.

My Regal actually was my daily driver until fall 2011. I took it all kinds of easy. Still do in weather. It had bald tires during the first winter I drove it. Actually back when I was first considering putting a shift kit in I thought it would make the car undrivable in bad weather.
:hijack:

snowmangaggift

Greasemonkey
Jun 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC Canada
pencero said:
You are right, my car is a DD and where I live the weather is terrible, although for what ever reason my monte sits abnormally high, even with a larger engine than original. There is at least 4 inches from the tire to fender and Im not looking for a "low rider", just a little stiffer ride and a bit better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor