big block V8 engine on V6 front springs -- how much sag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
This thread is not asking the question but instead providing an answer. If you're like me, you may have wondered how much the nose of your G-body will sag if you remove your stock V6 engine and install a big block V8 in its place without changing the front coil springs. In my case, I went from a 231 V6 (which is all iron, of course) to a Chevy 454 with iron heads. How much did the nose drop? In my case, about this much.

Before:
WagonSprings_zpswjjckaon.jpg

After:
V8onV6springs_zpsmhyq6rb5.jpg

Sorry for the different lighting. I haven't taken a tape measure to it, but I'd say the nose now sits about 2" lower than before.

Perhaps someone will find this information and photos useful.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Are you planning on replacing the front springs?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
2" sounds about right for the weight difference.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Now if you could lower the back end by a few inches you would really have a good look. :)

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The weights I have seen listed are.
Buick 80"s V6 approx. 375 lb
SBC iron headed 575 lb
BBC iron headed 685 lb
I have found various weights listed but most of the weights I find are within 10 lbs of these.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I'd say get stock HD V6 springs and bilstein shocks all around and some better wheels and tires and you'd have a kickass stance.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Im curious. whats with the 4 lug wheels on the back? Ive never seen it before.

To me it looks like the front springs were already worn, before the swap. It was sitting a bit lower than id expect normally.

• Agree

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Are you planning on replacing the front springs?

Yes, definitely. That will be one of the first things I do after I get the car running with the new (V8) engine.

I'd say get stock HD V6 springs and bilstein shocks all around and some better wheels and tires and you'd have a kickass stance.

The tail is already done (I hope). My plan now will be to raise the front end a bit with new, heavier/taller springs. I am looking closely at the Moog 5610 springs.

Now if you could lower the back end by a few inches you would really have a good look.

(chuckle) I did just install new Moog 5391 coils out back along with some KYB Gas-A-Just shocks sized to match. This gave me a little bit of rake, which is fine with me as it makes room for taller rear tires in the future.

Im curious. whats with the 4 lug wheels on the back? Ive never seen it before.

I'm running a Ford 8.8 axle, so I needed wheels that fit.

To me it looks like the front springs were already worn, before the swap. It was sitting a bit lower than id expect normally.

Allow me to go back in time. Here is the car all stock on matching wheels:

80GPwheels1_zpskcnwlbjs.jpg

At that time, there was no rake or sag. It sat very evenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor