Big Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
Does anyone have pics of a stock G body rotor machined down to work with the C5 rotors? Also some progress pics or a link would be helpfull too thanks. And which are preffered using the pbr calipers or or C5 calipers? I like the stock rotors and bearings idea cause then i can still do drop spindles.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
you can use the S-10 spindles with sealed hub, but you will need to get different brackets than the stock g-body ones. my spindles came off an 87 GN and i cut the caliper mounts off, grinded down the edges, then designed up a caliper bracket which mounted the stock C5 calipr and bracket to the g-spindle. I had a pair of stock rotors machined down into hubs, installed longer studs, then mounted it all together. BTW C5 calipers are PBR calipers. A bog reason why alot of us dont use the S-10 with sealed hubs is the replacement cost. Last time i heard each replacment S10 hub was around $250 a side. Versus stock rotors cut down, dont need replacing and bearings are very cheap too.

81malibag

Apprentice
Nov 10, 2007
Slohio
Brake Upgrade

Could someone post some pics of whats involved to machine G-Body rotors down & install Vette or LS1 brakes. I'm curious & interested. I have a pair of F-Body spindles from a 77' T/A & was planning to put them on w/ BMR upper & lower control arms. This new school way seems better. Thanks, Brian...

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
well i dont have any pics on hand, maybe Tony will chime in? But all you have to do is put the rotors on a lathe that turns down rotors and cut the entire disc pad area off the rotor, so you basically have just the center portion of the rotor left, creating a hub.

81malibag

Apprentice
Nov 10, 2007
Slohio
Lawfree said:
megaladon6 said:
you can also use mid 70's f-body tall spindle which only require cutting off the slides to use the KORE3 kit. they also give you slightly better goemetry.

I plan on up-grading the front brakes on my 80' Cutlass after installing the Buick GN posi rear with Caddy rear discs. Many companys MFG. tubular "A" arms now but the ones for the STD. "B" body tall spindle coversion are still very pricey.
I read where you can use off-set cross bars and reverse the off-set to allow for proper alignment. Has anyone tried this?
I'd like to know more about this "F" body spindle conversion and what a KORE3 kit is?
My other consideration is using brakes off an early 90's S-10 platform SUV. Certain 2wd models came with killer dual piston calibers on spindles that are a "G" body bolt on (not tall).
Stay away from Caddy brakes. They were a mistake from the start. If you do, set the parking brake every time you park. It's the only way to kee them adjusted, & if they even adjust properly! Good luck.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I have the Bbody spindle conversion on my malibu and I love the way it handles. I don't notice any bumpsteer and my car is very steady at speeds above 100mph. Even on roads that are not race track smooth.
upper and lower tubular control arms from spohn==$650
hotchkis springs with a half coil cut==$150
Bbody spindles from old cop car==free
ssbc duel piston aluminum calipers==$350
new 12 inch rotors from camaro==$150
koni shocks for lowered s10's==$160
Brake booster & master cylinder for Bbody SW==$150
These are prices that I think remember spending and there's things like bearings, odds & ends that I didn't include. That being said, I'm happy with the end results so far.
These are the pro's and con's that I've noticed from my set-up
PRO'S=stopping distance cut by a third
=double the posted speed around corners at minimum
=the smoothest ride for any lowered car I've had (5)
=as a package I think it was reasonable price
=easy installation, half a day by myself
=looks great

CON'S=15inch tires didn't fit for me
=stuck with combination, unlikely new parts will come along that are for my set-up
=took awhile to break-in
=tires rub front and back and slightly on top
=this is a big worry for me, but when the brake pads wear out years from now when ssbc doesn't exsist anymore, where do I get replacement parts.

If I were to do it over again I'd probable go the C5 route because it looks like the braking world is going that direction and that means more performance and cheaper parts. If you go with the Bbody conversion like I did, you won't be disappointed, yet. When I started putting my package together the Bbody spindle conversion was the way to go. As other people have said, there's many different options now a days.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
ssbc uses a standard brake pad i forget what car there from.The 2 piston baer are pbr brakes same thing the newer mustangs camaros and corvettes use.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
I'm running 12" LS1 brakes made to fit a g-body spindle. Braking is day and night difference - I can't stand the factory brakes on my Malibu now. 16" wheels are needed at least. Cost was less than $600 to my door for everything pictured. Good thing is that it does not make the bumpsteer worse, no 'tracking' issues with the wheels, and can be combined with an SC&C stage I or II kit for 'tall spindle' benefits.

99a.jpg

8ac.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor