Blazer Rear Sway Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Honestly Jack it was easy. I fought more getting the upper part of the end link out of it's U shaped bracket than anything. For the record, I used a 15mm socket and wrench for the top end link bolt, then a 19mm deep weld for the axle bracket side. Then just a pry bar and hammer to get the brackets off the axle and such.
I have the hardware soaking in evaporust, and the sway bar soaking in degreaser.
So, you ended up using typical manual tools, nothing fancy....cool! I suppose each vehicle is different, considering what kind of conditions it was subjected to.
I gotta get out to the yards and see what I can find. Hopefully, I can grab a few Astro/Safari shafts while I'm there.

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
So, you ended up using typical manual tools, nothing fancy....cool! I suppose each vehicle is different, considering what kind of conditions it was subjected to.
I gotta get out to the yards and see what I can find. Hopefully, I can grab a few Astro/Safari shafts while I'm there.
Wellllll, yeah manual tools will work, but I used my cordless impact driver(not really meant for removing torqued hardware but it worked.) It made quick work. I spent more time prying the end links out of their brackets.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Wellllll, yeah manual tools will work, but I used my cordless impact driver(not really meant for removing torqued hardware but it worked.) It made quick work. I spent more time prying the end links out of their brackets.
Yeah, I figured you used the cordless in the removal process.. The main thing is that you were able to meet your objective and got it all off in one piece. (y)

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I wonder if the control arm frame braces would help take the load off and strengthen the area, or do they hinder installation....? :unsure:
Like these:

I hope they're not in the way because I have the Hotchkis version installed. I found what I think is the golden ticket on end links. The stock Blazer setup allows the upper part of the end link to move or swivel....
20191029_200459.jpg

Anything fixed mount would likely cause binding. The aftermarket bars come with spherical rod end links, so I'm gonna try to replicate that design. I came across these universal mount style with a weld tab. I'm waiting for CPP to open so I can get dimensions and specs to ensure they'll be close lengthwise. Some fab required, TBD on the outcome.
20191030_084404.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I was under my GP yesterday putting in the new gas tank and took a look at the links for the F body sway bar I have. For those of you who were concerned about mounting to the lip on the crossmember you are not actually mounting it on a lip. The lip extends in that area and is folded over and welded to the frame. The mount area is actually in a valley inbetween the crossmember and the piece the folded lip

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I was under my GP yesterday putting in the new gas tank and took a look at the links for the F body sway bar I have. For those of you who were concerned about mounting to the lip on the crossmember you are not actually mounting it on a lip. The lip extends in that area and is folded over and welded to the frame. The mount area is actually in a valley inbetween the crossmember and the piece the folded lip
TangibleWavyAmericanbittern-small.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor