HELP BMR VS UMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypn0tic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2018
I purchased my Stage 4 kit from UMI. I spent a good half hour on the phone with them, talked cars, info on the green machine, bounced ideas off them and got really good advice for my build. They threw in a few extras, worked me a sweet deal on shipping to Canada and gave me an invitation to come race any time I'm "in the neighborhood".

That side alone was pretty much a win in my books, but the quality of the products are top notch to boot. Fit was great and the finish of the parts is beautiful.

I haven't done business with BMR yet but I can say my experience with UMI was pretty much perfect. My $0.02.
Thanks for your reply. Good to see another Canadian g body enthusiast!🇨🇦🖐

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
most of these aftermarket parts look very similar(there's only so many ways to make short/long control arms) but it seems like umi compared to bmr looks @ the actual gain to be had by running their products.between the selection of different height bj's (upper and lower mind you) and the selection of bushings.let's face it a delrin isn't ever gonna come down with a stiction problem unlike polyurethane it's predecessor.bmr wants you to align your car to factory specifications as there's no mention of included specs etc.with the umi front end products aligning to factory specs isn't plausible.they include a few alignment options for you to choose from based on what your driving behavior is.who's really offering something to gained for your money @this point?

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
For the lower and upper i wish they would offer a screw in sleeve. There are plenty of option with screw in ball joints, I modified my stock lower with a Howe threaded sleeve so i can use a screw in ball joint.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
I bought BMR stuff, - still finishing the car so can't say how the handling is yet, but I can say the weld quality is top notch and immediate response (almost) to email queries and tech advice impressed me....

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I currently have a BMR huge front sway bar, front upper A arms, and rear upper tubular and lower boxed trailing arms. I can also attest that the quality is super nice, the hammertone powdercoat is well done, and the little road use the Cutlass has seen provided favorable results. The car is way stiffer and stays level on turns even with garbage tires.

I still need a rear sway bar, hint hint BMR xmas is a week away lol!!!!

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
Both my gbody's have umi suspension parts on them with no issues one has a more all out setup and the other just mild setup. When I was in the market for suspension I was comparing umi and Hotchkiss and decided umi because of price.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings all; I like many here like the Green Machine, so we may be bias toward UMI. But I have none of their parts as they were not on my radar back in 2002 when I started up grading my suspension. I went with Global West because they had grease able Del-A-Lum Bushings. And Spherical Bearing rod ends for the rear control arms. I find that for street use these Bushings & rod ends follow the bumps & holes on the street much better than the polies that the other manufactures offer. Sure if you have smooth streets (we DON'T in Wisconsin) or just use your car on smooth race track (drag strips, Auto-X & road course) events any of the bushing will be fine? I'm just sayin' take a look at their stuff before you spend. I do have one BMR piece on the GuTOo, the oil pan skid plate. And from my days in the shop we Always debured the part after it came off what ever machine operation it had just been through while that next one was being made. I guess that doesn't happen any longer? Ole' Bob.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I bought BMR stuff, - still finishing the car so can't say how the handling is yet, but I can say the weld quality is top notch and immediate response (almost) to email queries and tech advice impressed me....

I currently have a BMR huge front sway bar, front upper A arms, and rear upper tubular and lower boxed trailing arms. I can also attest that the quality is super nice, the hammertone powdercoat is well done, and the little road use the Cutlass has seen provided favorable results. The car is way stiffer and stays level on turns even with garbage tires.

I still need a rear sway bar, hint hint BMR xmas is a week away lol!!!!

These are great reviews for BMR. I can tell you exact same thing about UMI. Umi's customer service is GREAT from first hand experience. They are responsive and ship high quality parts in a hurry. They are somewhat local to me, so I'm more than willing to support a local - ALWAYS. But from the looks of the responses on here, no one has anything bad to say about either of them. I'd say it comes down to personal choice. I seen the Green Machine at Carlisle a while back and it was impressive. I'll bet that BMR is just as impressive.

I'll predict that no one will go wrong with either of their parts. One thing I'm yet to see about either is a failed part or poor customer service.

A while back there was a similar thread on another forum referencing turbo products trying to find the better of Tial, Turbosmart and Precision. The responses were all positive, just as they are here about UMI and BMR. It's good to see both UMI and BMR responded in respectful manners. Personally, I'd buy from either and feel confident that the parts were top notch.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
l still need a rear sway bar, hint hint BMR xmas is a week away lol!!!!

We put in an UMI rear sway bar (humongous) on their rear control arms and holy SCHMOLY did that change the handling for the better. It took it from Grandma's grocery getter to feeling like a GTR drift car - lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor