Bracing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
They really shouldn't be that difficult to make. Even using a good heavy duty bench vise, you should be able to make the crimps. However, I can see where a press would come in handy to help make
certain bends.
Making the GP crossbars would be a bit more involved.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Making the GP crossbars would be a bit more involved.
For GP and jounce bars you would want to use thicker tubing which will require a tubing bender for your bends and a press for crimping.
Also a consideration for jounce bars is you have 2 different mounting point angles which takes more precision to get right.

IMG_0231.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
For GP and jounce bars you would want to use thicker tubing which will require a tubing bender for your bends and a press for crimping.
Also a consideration for jounce bars is you have 2 different mounting point angles which takes more precision to get right.

View attachment 114521
You're absolutely right. I did fail to mention a tubing (conduit) bender...and also the different mounting points that need to be stamped, or crimped at particular angles.
I do agree with you about using the heavier 3/4" tubing. I'm sure they're much stronger and rigid than the factory pieces.
Nice job on the jounce bar. I see more quality in your piece than the original part. Then again, we're comparing mass produced to individually made pieces....made with care and love. ;)

Reactions: 2 users

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
You're absolutely right. I did fail to mention a tubing (conduit) bender...and also the different mounting points that need to be stamped, or crimped at particular angles.
I do agree with you about using the heavier 3/4" tubing. I'm sure they're much stronger and rigid than the factory pieces.
Nice job on the jounce bar. I see more quality in your piece than the original part. Then again, we're comparing mass produced to individually made pieces....made with care and love. ;)
Would also be helpful if I the angle of them or had one to compare it to I can get a conduit bender we have one at work I can use.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Would also be helpful if I the angle of them or had one to compare it to I can get a conduit bender we have one at work I can use.
If you need measurements, I can get them off of one of my fender to core support braces. Right and left should be the same.

Reactions: 1 users

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
If you need measurements, I can get them off of one of my fender to core support braces. Right and left should be the same.
That would be a good starting point I think if you could do that be GREATLY appreciated.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That would be a good starting point I think if you could do that be GREATLY appreciated.
Since I have to clear non factory items in my Monte I didn't use an example (which I don't have anyways) to make my fender to core support braces I just measured from where I wanted my mounting points and then added inch for the bend at the fender.

• Winner

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm wondering if the (fender to core support) bars that fit a Monte Carlo would be longer than the typical Pontiac Lemans style bars. I have noticed that the bars for a GP are curved and longer...I think.
Griffin, you may have to improvise if that's the case. I can still take measurements of my bar. It might put you in the ballpark...or give you a starting point.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Mine had the factory mounting holes. Cars without mounting holes can have shorter bars. On such cars you could get the bars ‘close’ and drill the fender holes as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor