Bucket Seat Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
For others that have bench seats & considering a swap, there are aftermarket G-body specific brackets available for buckets & 60/40 seats (Google g-body bucket seat mounts). As for possible donors, here in TX, I find S10 blazer seats are the most common find in wrecking yards. I have a clean pair sitting in my shop now that I picked-up on C-list a couple years ago for $125.

The brackets are spot welded in place from the factory. For someone w/o a welder, after removing all the carpet & padding you could mock up their placement & have a local muffler shop tack them in for a few bucks. I did 2 bucket seat swaps using brackets from wrecking yard cars (Regal T-type/Monte Carlo SS) before the aftermarket ones were available. I'll likely do yet another but will utilize the aftermarket brackets this time & look forward to not having to pry them off the floor w/o worrying about damaging them in the removal process.

For those into similar year trucks, the Suburban bucket seat brackets are a common similar swap when a guy wants buckets in his C10/20/30 truck vs. a bench seat.
I'd even be happy with a 60/40! It is the adjustable part that makes it more acceptable to my better half! She wants the floor shift too as she doesn't enjoy the column shift. If I were as selfish as most believe, I would be content to go places alone and never let her drive it...but

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
In my 88 CSC I replaced the factory bucket seats with manual, gray cloth Recaros. They are very comfortable.
I will take a look at that too! Since mine is simply for utility, not shows and such, they do not have to be out of a G Body, or even mid-size GM if they bolt in with relative ease and almost no fabrication. I have to pay people to fabricate and that makes buckets extremely expensive if I also have to find mounts and tracks.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
If you have a car that has a 1 piece bench seat, you will need the inner floor mounts, which will allow you to use bucket seat tracks. As for seat selection, most GM bucket seats that were produced from the late '70s to the early 2000s will bolt directly to the correct G body bucket seat tracks. When I upgraded the interior in my '84 Monte SS, I tried Buick GN seats-direct bolt in. I tried late '80s Firebird seats-direct bolt in. I tried early 2000s Cavalier/Sunfire seats-direct bolt in. I finally ended up using seats from a '96-'98 Pontiac Grand Am GT, and they were also a direct bolt in. I've seen plenty of aftermarket seats in these cars, but they usually require an adapter bracket that will allow you to bolt the aftermarket seat to the G body seat track. You can fabricate a similiar type bracket, which will allow you to use seats from other vehicles. I had a local welding shop fab up a pair of adapter brackets, so that I could mount a pair of 1988 Toyota Celica GTS bucket seats in my 1980 Malibu. There are lots of different ways that you can go.
I appreciate the info. It would seem that if you must fab or buy the inner brackets, the best way to approach it is to find seats with tracks, and then figure out the brackets. Again this is more function than show, so I don't need 6 way electric seats or the like. We will probably never go beyond 250 miles from home unless there is an All Chevy or El Camino or G Body event.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Chuck, I wouldn't let a bench seat keep me from enjoying the car while you look for a set. You've got a bunch of time and effort in that thing, and the seat swap can be done in a weekend. Rock the bench until you find a pair of buckets, and go shred some rubber.

As stated, you will need the inner brackets, which should be welded in.
Thanks for the information. I will drive the car soon enough and the bench is in dire need of reupholstering, and foam etc. I am just trying to save that cost, by finding buckets that probably require the same thing. I cannot put in the floor shifter until the bench is removed or altered. 60/40 presents the same problems

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
S10 Blazer is a good candidate. Since you have no back seat, you don't have to match the upholstery.
The inner tracks' mount pads are available aftermarket (OPGI, etc.).
IMG_20191026_173901209.jpg
The S10 seats use the identical four-bolt pattern, but the tracks themselves are unique to the S10 floorpan. You'll need the inner pair. Not sure if a second set of bench tracks can be used. There was a good post on this.
IMG_20191020_163249519.jpg
My Blazer seats were non-flip, as there were dedicated doors for the rear seat. The tilt mechanisms have an extra feature...look for a 2-door Blazer. I just cut out the beauty covers for the flip levers.
IMG_20191020_171856190.jpg
IMG_20191020_173854097.jpg
IMG_20191027_131826081.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I enjoy it when people complain about prices due to what the market dictates. Sure there are some people who list things for way too much but “if you wanna play you gotta pay”. The whole supply/demand thing.

Patience and keeping your eye out will lead to deals. Junkyards still get g-bodies here and there even here in the rust belt, some with bucket seats. And yea, the majority definitley didn’t come with them. Many GM buckets from that era will bolt on to the g-body tracks, finding good tracks is getting almost harder than usable buckets it seems.
I'm glad you enjoy it. I sure don't! I've restored a bunch of cars and I have never before experienced the attitude that because it is old, it is classic and you must pay big bucks to have it, even in poor condition. The most frustrating part for me is living in an area that has none available anywhere. The nearest I have found a set is 200 miles, and they were trash. This makes the seller think that they are rare and worth more, when in fact there are places that you can find them for $50 or a little more, but far less than $500 for garbage. Our pick it lots seem to have only vehicles from the last 15 years, and that makes it a whole different search than finding ones that simply bolt in with a little spot-welding.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Just a note on 3rd gen F-body seats....don't plan long trips. They suck for long rides. Cruisin' around town a bit is ok, but they're not designed with comfort in mind. The pockets of the G-body floors, your Camino included, are large enough to fit nearly any mid-size bucket seat. But again, if you want bolt-ins, you have to worry about the tracks. I cannot vouch for S-10 seats bolting in, but sometimes you have to do a little modding sometimes. It's the tracks that make the difference and I have a hard time believing an S-10 floorboard is the same as a G-body. But I don't know. You're certainly increasing your chances of success by opening up your field of candidates.

But let me get this straight. You're mad because people won't sell you G-body seats at the price you want to pay and they're somehow the villain? When you're buying stuff for your car, you always keep an eye out for a deal as Ribbedroof said. But unless someone was out to blatantly rip you off, qualifying an entire group people that actually have the parts you want as being greedy and mean and not practically giving them away when you want them to is a bit petty in my book. I understand your frustration, but if you don't like the price, dig up another rock and keep looking. I'm sure Panhandler Pete probably didn't find a gold nugget in his sifting pan the first day on the river. He kept going back until he did, though.

But the going rate is the going rate, and if you want to keep your bench, you certainly can. Nobody goes from buckets to bench, so if you were looking for bench seats, I'd bet you would find them cheap and plentiful. But bucket seats for a G-body will cost you because EVERYONE wants to go that route. Including you.

If I was close enough to AZRegal I'd be all over those seats he has for free.

As always, when it concerns car parts, it comes down to your budget. Keep looking. You don't ever finish a car anyway so you can always put in buckets later. A deal you like might fall into your lap. You never know.

That's of course good advice. It took me months to find a TH350 and until I get the engine running I don't REALLY know that it works. The guy who sold it to me for almost nothing said "it worked in his buddies car when removed", so it may work. I went through it as best as I could.

• Wow

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
S10 Blazer is a good candidate. Since you have no back seat, you don't have to match the upholstery.
The inner tracks' mount pads are available aftermarket (OPGI, etc.).
View attachment 132587
The S10 seats use the identical four-bolt pattern, but the tracks themselves are unique to the S10 floorpan. You'll need the inner pair. Not sure if a second set of bench tracks can be used. There was a good post on this.
View attachment 132592
My Blazer seats were non-flip, as there were dedicated doors for the rear seat. The tilt mechanisms have an extra feature...look for a 2-door Blazer. I just cut out the beauty covers for the flip levers.
View attachment 132591
View attachment 132590
View attachment 132586
That is great info and thanks! I really don't mind having to make some adjustments. It would seem that IF I have to fab mounts, the best way is to find the seats with and then get the mounts made. If I want GM seats from that era, I can buy the inner mounts and get them welded, but seats do not come with tracks anymore, you have to find them separately? The bench seat, the tracks are attached to the seat, just no inner tracks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor