Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I think I want a MR2 with a F50 drivetrain! 8)

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
LS1 E30 would be sick. S13's with the el es juan are plain nasty. Full tilt sideways with thick tire smoke. Ummmm that's good.

I can't wait 'till I finish my project BMW (then I can move onto the Cutty) .. but the 13B-T will have to be fun in that little car. Plus, the engine and the car are both German designs .. soooo .. it's not too bad of a bastardization. 8)

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
True, the Wankel was invented by a German, but made usable by the Hiroshima-Based Mazda in the 1960's with the original 10A used first I believe in the Cosmo. The design was actually licensed from NSU, and NSU used it in the RO80. In fact, if you look at the top of the rotor casing, you will see stamped in it "Licensed from NSU", despite the fact that NSU was absorbed by VW around 1977. ( I think the VW Dasher was actually a rebadged NSU. It was sold as the K70 in Europe). In fact it was warranty issues with the RO80 which weakened the company badly enough that they were taken over. I know that a motorcycle manufacturer of the 1960's also used a Wankel. I want to say it was Norton, but I am not 100% sure.

With the 13B-T what engine management are you using? I ask because the stock engine management is the main problem with the FD turbo cars as it is too easy to run it lean and kill the apex seals.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
OOOPS!!! The first Wankel engined car was the 1963 NSU Wankel Spyder.... I feel so ashamed for getting that wrong. :oops:
NSU-wankel-Spider-explode.jpg

And another paint update: Tropical Storm Fay will not go away!!! It is now supposed to shoot back across the state and make it wet and rainy for the next few days. So, I will have to try again for next week....

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
85CutlassBrogham,

I finally got mine painted last night (check-out the photo's in my album). It's not perfect but considering it was done cheap in a tent it looks great. I may redo it in a few years when I have the cash to do it right. Hope to see yours soon. Shame about the Hurricane but I guess it's better than real winters.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Update: If I do not get it done Thursday, it looks like Tropical Storm Gustav will delay me further. In other news, I got another broken iPod today and disassembled it for paint. I am painting it to match my Cutlass, and will then have the same music library available in either the Olds or the Frontier without having to remember to bring it with me. I also have a 3rd iPod which I can use in another car, and a 4th on the way to play with as well. This way, I can carry about 60 CDs without actually having to carry 60 CDs. I may go to Sea World tomorrow instead of working on the car or house, but that would put me behind since I need to do my Calculus homework and also prep the mirrors and a small spot in the trunk jamb. I won't have time Wednesday due to classes and work.

Wish I had something more exciting, but I figured I would at least post this update for all of my fan(s).

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
SWEET

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I remember reading that site a few years ago when I had a yen to build a Corvair. It is definitely different! Today, you could build a much improved version using C5 or C6 Corvette parts, but I wonder why he used the Tempest stuff when back then he could have just used Porsche 928 components, or even 924, 944 or 968? The 928 transaxle can take a fair amount of abuse as it had 300+hp stock put through it. Then you could also use the DOHC V8 from the 928 too. I mean, even the factory teams (like Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick) who ran 421 Tempests had MAJOR issues with drivetrain stability using the Tempest rope drive!

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
And the way he built the car it looks like it came like that no hack job and it still looks stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor