Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
jonnyslick said:
Looks amazing ... care if i copy you!? :lol:

So long as you choose a different combination of trim parts and wheels, why not? Then again, I still have not decided what wheels to use...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
On wheels and tires, I am looking for some opinions. I am going with wide tires, but have yet to decide what wheels to use. It will be nothing larger than an 18, nothing smaller than a 16. I am thinking a 5 spoke design in polished aluminum or chrome would look best, or I may keep the old wheels (16x8 Enkei 98's with 4 in backspacing) and have them polished and straightened, then repaint the spiders in gold like they were.

The car will have the wide lower body trims, all the original stainless, aluminum or chrome trim except for the emblems and ding strips, and will also have dark tinted windows. It is mildly lowered too.

(Anyhow, back to wet sanding the clear...)

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
Naw I was just joking man. I do really love the color, but when I get mine repainted I'm going to stay in the gray scale.

now ... MOAR PICS!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
jonnyslick said:
Naw I was just joking man. I do really love the color, but when I get mine repainted I'm going to stay in the gray scale.

now ... MOAR PICS!

Tune in later tonight as I will have more on the way...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Here are today's highlights. I sanded most of the shell in 1,000 grit due to the heavy orange peel. I still have to do the lower part of the door below the body line tomorrow, but the rest is pretty much ready for 2,000 grit. The hood and one fender were also done in 2,000 grit today after run removal in 1,000. They were pretty smooth, so I could skip the 1,000 grit step with them.

Today, before I started.

l_f695e0e8a4554c7d8ef207448cceefe1.jpg

Orange peel after initial 1,000 grit sanding. Required another go before it was done.

l_3d38cc84b4374f6d9552d8ac8c3b12af.jpg

The car at the end of the day.

l_b2bd58c5a5f34ec0af01d23636435ee0.jpg

Tools of the trade:

l_f11a027bd8984d41bb00ea7888eb6c4c.jpg

The big oops! I cut the header panel by accident with a grinder as I was trying to remove the rusty headlight ring screws. I will fill it and paint it. It is not as bad as it looks as it is all inside the pocket the trim ring fits in to and does not extend into the body line for the recess.

l_0feca92b00634ade9aa3442fcdf81d92.jpg

The debated spot that I might spot repair. It is in the middle of the roof, and happened as I tried to remove a piece of dirt that fell into the clear. Unfortunately, I managed to hit the base below the clear and reveal the white sealer I used. I did it because it is in the center of the roof and I had to try not to let my clothes touch the car as it was wet.

l_3b01e20e4d7346fe87c0f672ac99c044.jpg

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
BTW, this has been a HUGE sacrifice for me to get to this point right now. My phone is now shut off, my water bill is late as is my credit card, and I just narrowly missed losing electrical service. So, with that in mind, I took $5 to Wal Mart to go grocery shopping. I bought a 2 liter of Coke, and the following assortment of ramen.

l_b3acac8f1560455cb587c7d8c91411bc.jpg

Yes, ramen. It's not so bad once you get used to it! The big one was a meal that cost $0.86. Hopefully, once I finish buffing the car out I can get back to a more normal life and have a phone again. Once I get the windows in I am gonna back off on spending more money for a while, and just work on the things I already have the parts for. Within 2-4 months, the car should be done and ready to be torn down again for the 5 speed swap. Because, of course no good hot rod is ever truly finished.

(And yes, I do projects on my oven. It's a convenient place to do small electronic projects because of the vent hood that helps when I am soldering. That's normal...isn't it?)

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
RAMEN why did you not get the .10 packs haha i live off those sadly when i run out of meals on my mealplan, gotta come up with ways to make them better though, congrats on teh progress with the car, that has to be a big step in motivation to get it done now

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
78mali350 said:
RAMEN why did you not get the .10 packs haha i live off those sadly when i run out of meals on my mealplan, gotta come up with ways to make them better though, congrats on teh progress with the car, that has to be a big step in motivation to get it done now

Yeah, but I am too lazy to clean the dishes afterwards! lol.... Sadly, I didn't see any $0.10 ramen this time, it was all expensive stuff costing at least $0.16!!! Even ramen is getting pricey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor