Buying a new wagon, need trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Hey all. I recently found an 82 Malibu wagon for sale and need a better daily driver than my '77 2500 Suburban while Pumkinator is being rebuilt. I'd like to make the Maliby a "woody", I found vinyl wrap for the center wood, but does anyone know of a resource for the trim around the wood? Thanks!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Hens teeth right there I think Ben.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Would the trim from a Cutlass work? I would think it should be pretty close...if so I might know where some trim is...

The wagon beside the El Camino here has some trim on it. I saw it a few months ago and will likely be heading back there next week...I can take some better pics for you...

JLIHo2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Kevin,
I would also think that the trim is close between the different brands. I'll look thru my old crash book and see if the part #'s correspond.

The thing is, the body lines differ a bit between the Chevy and Olds wagons.

Reactions: 1 user

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Olds and Buick share body lines, Chevy and Pontiac do to, but the pairs are different than each other. By chance I found a guy in FL that has a Pontiac wagon that he wants to delete all the woody look and paint it one color. He and I are working out a deal for the trim. Thanks for looking OD.

TheCoroner

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2006
I'm pretty sure the body lines on the Olds wagon share the same lines as the 4 door Cutlass of the same year. They share the same front end, and same fenders without side markers. Im not sure how far off they are from the Malibu, but I can take measurements if needed. I've got an 81 Cutlass cruiser here.

20170901_112443.jpg

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
The Malibu/ Pontiac has a different lower body line, it has the lower line face upwards and the Cutlass/ Buick has the line face downwards, if that makes sense. Yes a 4 door has the same front clip as a wagon although the rear side doors are different. The 2 door fenders are different length between the door and wheel opening and won't transfer between 2 and 4 door cars.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ben
I was also going to suggest looking for Pontiac wagon side trim. Like you said, Chevy and Pontiac share the same body lines.
I hope you're able to find a complete set of trim.

Btw, a 4-dr sedan wood not have the type of trim that a "wood sided" wagon would have.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I have a 1981 Malibu Wagon that I'm thinking about removing the trim from. The large piece from the drivers side is in the car. Haven't looked for the passenger side door or lower rear but I'll assume they are missing.
IMG_20171029_152306008.jpg
IMG_20171029_152337016_HDR.jpg

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Thanks for the offer. I found a complete set from a fellow on the east coast. It's off a Pontiac and the front trim is vertical like the later Malibu rather than slanted like the early Malibus.

At this point I can't get the guy to return my calls so I can make arrangements to give him the $ which I've had since I looked at it. He was out of town that day but assured me he'd get with me when he got back. Not sure what's going on, and the car is almost an hour from my place so I can't just hop over and check in. I'm planning on dropping by when I get a free weekend, so I'll keep everyone updated when I find out more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor