Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Whats up bro.
What dont you like about edelbrocks.
terrible antiquated design that was terrible in the 50s and terrible now. prone to vapor lock/fuel boil, hates sudden movement (autocross, rock crawling, drag racing), square bore so you need an adapter to use on most stock american intake manifolds from about the mid 1960s on up to the late 80s, etc. I'll give it some points though. They usually work out of the box. Not well, but it will work. Changing jets and rods is easy (same principal as a qjet, just more stuff to unhook), etc. There is a reason edelbrock was making qjets. But no one bought them, so they stopped. idk about flemming, but every car I've ever seen/rode in/worked on that ran like sh*t had an edelbrock on it. #2 would be an E4ME with the computer missing or unplugged.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, Chrysler had the vapor lock issues with the AFB and AVS when factory. As sad an ancient design. The Edelbrock castings aren't as good as the original Carter ones. Carter went to the Thermoquad, not only for emissions and fuel economy but the Bakelite bowl to eliminate hot start issues. Holley copied it will the all new castings 3 barrel Polymer body option Street Demon 625 and 750 cfm. They eliminated many problem areas and eliminated the special tool needed for the secondary adjustment. Most who buy them, like them, they run better out of the box and give better fuel economy than the Edelbrock carbs.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
Yes, Chrysler had the vapor lock issues with the AFB and AVS when factory. As sad an ancient design. The Edelbrock castings aren't as good as the original Carter ones. Carter went to the Thermoquad, not only for emissions and fuel economy but the Bakelite bowl to eliminate hot start issues. Holley copied it will the all new castings 3 barrel Polymer body option Street Demon 625 and 750 cfm. They eliminated many problem areas and eliminated the special tool needed for the secondary adjustment. Most who buy them, like them, they run better out of the box and give better fuel economy than the Edelbrock carbs.
Fun fact dodge pickups with a 360, 3/4 and one ton had a quadrajet carb and I actually have one of those examples,it's from a late 80's one next time I'm in that box I'll get the carb number off it

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Fun fact dodge pickups with a 360, 3/4 and one ton had a quadrajet carb and I actually have one of those examples,it's from a late 80's one next time I'm in that box I'll get the carb number off it
Chrysler stopped using the Thermoquad in 84. The trucks used them till 89. They also used it on the Police Interceptors till they were gone in 89 as well. Interesting Dodge never offered the A500 overdrive and mileage suffered because of it. Our 82 Diplomat with the 360 headed 318 and Thermoquad could do 200 mph but was 10 mpg below our 81 Delta 88 with 307. Neither had OD, both would have had a lock up torque converter, similar low 2 gearing and the Thermoquad had electronic fuel control. The Delta 88 being a Canadian car only had a Cat, EGR and a Charcoal canister for emissions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
Chrysler stopped using the Thermoquad in 84. The trucks used them till 89. They also used it on the Police Interceptors till they were gone in 89 as well. Interesting Dodge never offered the A500 overdrive and mileage suffered because of it. Our 82 Diplomat with the 360 headed 318 and Thermoquad could do 200 mph but was 10 mpg below our 81 Delta 88 with 307. Neither had OD, both would have had a lock up torque converter, similar low 2 gearing and the Thermoquad had electronic fuel control. The Delta 88 being a Canadian car only had a Cat, EGR and a Charcoal canister for emissions.
I only seen two with the qjet one was my buddies 86 3/4 ton 2wd and at the time I had a hard time believing it was stock until I did a little looking in parts books then this one came up I bought a 200-4r trans and the guy was parting stuff so I bought every qjet he had including the one off his dodge I just thought it was interesting I’ve never opened it to see how it set up that’s a someday project

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
my mom's Mexican neighbor with a monte with the roof chopped off and a fuzzy marilyn monroe on the hood had a dodge qjet on it.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Dodge Qjet's are feedback models, they would probably be better jetted for 5L or even a mild 350 than most CCC Qjet's.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
The Dodge Qjet's are feedback models, they would probably be better jetted for 5L or even a mild 350 than most CCC Qjet's.
The one I have isn’t and neither was one one on my friends pickup I did a little stalking on some mopar websites and it seems 1984 -1987/88 ish just before they went to tbi they used qjets but there is mixed speculation as to why also there’s chatter about police packages on cars that had them also,so this may be a new source for carbs that’s untapped tomorrow after work I’ll go through my mid 80’s manuals and see if I can find how there set up and I’ll look into if any feed back ones are out there as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor