Do You Still Run a Catalytic Converter on Your Car?

• Yes. I love clean air, hummingbirds and frolicking in the field.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • No. Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire!!!

Votes: 20 64.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
With the old 305/dual set up I had a set of universal replacements, am looking at a good set of stainless for the new exhaust. My county in Pa has a visual emissions inspection & gotta run them. Its better than a sniffer test.

Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
[QUOTE="565bbchevy, No cats on the 565 and not even sure if they make them big enough.
View attachment 77014 [/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure cats are available....Problem is - the company would run out of supplies before they're built to your spec.

84slow

Greasemonkey
Feb 6, 2017
Ontario.Ca
Hey 565bbchevy is there a benefit of the h- pipe you got as to a x-pipe. I don't know if I should get that done or not...

As to cats for me I also do live in Ontario canada I got no cats on my diesel Cummins or my mustang haven't got pulled over yet but a big no no here

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Hey 565bbchevy is there a benefit of the h- pipe you got as to a x-pipe. I don't know if I should get that done or not...

As to cats for me I also do live in Ontario canada I got no cats on my diesel Cummins or my mustang haven't got pulled over yet but a big no no here
There was an engine masters about that. They were the same within a hp or two of eachother. H pipe sounds throaty-er and is better if you need to take the exhaust off more than a few times. X pipe sounds like a newer car, raspy-er, and is more of a pita to work around.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
pontiacgp, interesting video. I know with a lot of newer cars with fuel injection, they actually run a little better with a little backpressure (i.e. cat). Anecdotally, on a Nissan Sentra I had in the mid-'90s, I put a header on it thinking I would pick up all this power, and it actually ran like a dog with it. It ran a lot better with the stock exhaust manifold.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Hard to take that video seriously when mr. mumbles can barely pronounce the product he's selling.

Cala-kick-ick.
Ca-lick-ick
Cala-lala-ick

and by the end he was so lazy, they just became Calick converters. Good job!

palm-face @ back-pressure and the premise of this whole thread.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For me it basically came down to fitment, with my exhaust there would be now way to get an x-pipe in there without interference issues, many people prefer x-pipes but I like the ease of installation of H-pipe which I just call a "balance tube" since that is really the only reason I have it on there but I would take either style over not having something in there.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I still run a cat, you can smell if a car has a missing cat and its not pleasant . G bodies came with several different cat designs from the factory, base models had poorer flowing units than the performance models. The MCSS L69 cat is a pretty high flowing unit. The original 231 V6 in my Regal had a much longer but narrower cat than the L69 which is a very wide and short cat, maybe the 231 required more exhaust scrubbing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor