Change of heart for powertrain: Thinking aluminum head 9.5:1 4.1 EFI V-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Erod LS3 is emissions complient in his area (why he was considering it). If that won't work for your budget then I'd leave it stock engine wise, swap to a 200-4R trans and change the rear differential gears to 3.55ish. Way more bang for the buck and the emissions goons are clueless about your quick ride.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. I guess my thoughts on it are I’d like to maintain the original “look” as much as possible, even in the engine bay, if we’re not doing full-blown restomod.

I get the whole SBC swap thing...Been done a million times, proven power, etc. But I’d like to do something at least somewhat original, but that wakes the car up a little. The 2-bbl 231 just ain’t cutting it for me. And yes, unfortunately where I live, I have to deal with the “smog nazis.” So that’s a factor, too.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Actually, I'd like to get fleming442's input on this. a RWD 3800 out of a Camaro/Firebird is tempting. Seemed like it was a lot of work to get it to work in a G-Body, but would definitely get me to the power and MPG levels I'd like to achieve.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I I’m thinking of doing an aluminum head, 9.5:1 compression 4.1 EFI V-6, like a FiTech type setup. My goal would be about 180-200 wheel horsepower.
Doesn't this have to be a legal swap since you are in California, I assume this would put a lot of restrictions on what you can actually put in there.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Hi!!! Everyone has made valid points already. How are you going to slide a Series 2 by the emissions nazis? I still had to do the rear gears, so do that first as stated.

Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Rules for engine swaps in Kalifornia are it has to be same model year or newer than vehicle, and has to have all emissions equipment that originally came on the engine. Series II would be allowable, but would have to get ref'd regardless.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since your acceptable power level isn't that high what about building your 231 with better heads, cam and induction and with a rear gear and overdrive it might not be too bad.

• Informative

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The only advantage of the Series 2 over an LS is the motor mounts and oil pan which it sounds like you have the funds to do. What about slapping boost and injection on the 3.8 you have? It's a good, low mileage foundation.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor