Change of heart for powertrain: Thinking aluminum head 9.5:1 4.1 EFI V-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I really like your approach in theory, 81cutlass, but unfortunately, this is definitely a project I'm going to have to farm out to a shop. I simply don't have the space, tools, or expertise to do it myself. From that standpoint, I just kind of want to keep it straightforward. I've followed fleming442's build, and while I have awesome admiration for what he's done, I've seen what a headache it's been trying to adapt newer computerized and DBW stuff to an older platform. As it is, I'm figuring I'm going to be into it for about $10k P&L.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Deck the block for compression, and I wouldn't waste the cash on the heads unless you are putting a turbo on it.
The only real headache on my swap was the VATS simply because I was flying blind with the computer. I trusted that it would be removed in the tune, and it bit me in the *ss. Well, that and having a severely neglected core.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Forgive my n00b question, but do you have to take the pistons & crank out to deck the block? Most of the time I've seen it done, it's been on a bare block. Seems at that point, if you've already torn the engine down that much, why not do pistons?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Do the rear gears and overdrive before you even touch the engine. Trust me, it'll feel like 50% more power.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Maybe we should move some of the popcorn stash over here?

Feels more like this:

He needs Scroog McDuck money to make his dreams come true. But, then again I do enjoy some popcorn when watching a comedy...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Have you considered swapping in an Olds 307 from 1983-1988? If you got a complete motor, ECU, harness and all the emissions bits, I bet you could get it refereed successfully.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
So, after getting the staggering quote for the frame-off restomod on my wagon, I’m re-thinking the powertrain strategy. I I’m thinking of doing an aluminum head, 9.5:1 compression 4.1 EFI V-6, like a FiTech type setup. My goal would be about 180-200 wheel horsepower.

Honestly, I get so much admiration and thumbs-up with my wagon as it is, at this stage, going the full LS3 restomod route seems a little excessive. Also, at the level of power I’d have with the 4.1, I wouldn’t have to worry about doing any major frame reinforcement.

What are everyone’s thoughts?
So, what's the current status with this project? I couldn't seem to locate an official build thread for your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor